This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation and Recommendation of Material Tests for Fuel Related Seal Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The advent of low emission regulations on fuel systems has made original equipment manufacturers (OEM) revise old material specifications and create new material specifications to stipulate the use of less permeable materials for fuel sealing applications. These material specifications vary widely among the different OEMs even if the application requirements are essentially the same. This study examines a large battery of tests that are included in OEM material specifications as well as variations in test methods and fuel mixtures. Testing recommendations are provided for OEMs to consider when revising or creating a material specification for rubber fuel seals.
CitationAguilar, H., Mecham, S., Starr, B., and Wilson, T., "Investigation and Recommendation of Material Tests for Fuel Related Seal Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0868, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0868.
- Schindewolf J. Currie D. R. “Physical Property Considerations for Engineering Plastics and Elastomers in the Alternative Fuel Environment” SAE paper 900631 February 1990
- Stevens R. D. “Permeation and Stress Relaxation Resistance of Elastomeric Fuel Seal Materials SAE paper 2001-01-1127 March 2001
- Dobel T.M. Fuller R. E. “Choosing the Right Elastomer for Air Intake and Engine Oil Gaskets” SAE paper 2002-01-0631 March 2002
- Aguilar H. Kander R. G. “Fuel Permeation Study on Various Seal Materials” SAE paper 2000-01-1099 March 2000
- Touchet P. Zanedis B. Fischer M.-C. Gatza P. E. “Materials Compatibility Studies with Fuel/Alcohol Mixtures Report 2366 U.S. Army Mobility Equipment Research and Development Command July 1982
- Stevens R. D. “A New Fluoroelastomer for Fuel System Seals” SAE paper 2002-01-0632 March 2002
- Dunn J. R. Vara R. G. “Fuel Resistance and Fuel Permeability of NBR and NBR blends” Paper 16 128 th ACS Rubber Division Technical Meeting Cleveland, Ohio October 1985
- Hogan M. E. “Performance of Fluorosilicone and Fluorocarbon O-rings in Methanol-Containing Fuels” SAE paper 932872 October 1993
- Brullo R. A. Sohlo A. M. “Compatibility of Fluoroelastomer Fuel Management System Components with Detergent Gasolines” SAE paper 880021 February-March 1988
- “Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice” SAE J1681 September 1993 January 2000
- Tuckner P. Baker J. “Fuel Permeation Testing using Gravimetric Methods” SAE paper 2000-01-1096 March 2000
- Myntti M. F. “Comparing Fuel and Oil Resistance Properties” RubberWorld 228 3 38 45 June 2003
- Fried J. R. “Polymer Science and Technology” Prentice Hall 99 110 1995