This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Architecture for a Safety-Critical Steer-by-Wire System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A hardware and software architecture suitable for a safety-critical steer-by-wire systems is presented. The architecture supports three major failure modes and features several safety protocols and mechanisms. Failures due to component failures, software errors, and human errors are handled by the architecture and safety protocols. A test implementation using replicated communication channels, controllers, sensors, and actuators has been performed. The test implementation uses the CAN protocol, Motorola S12 microcontrollers, and Microchip MCP250XX components with a steering wheel and road wheel simulator. The focus of the paper is on the application level, using system engineering principles which incorporate a holistic approach to achieve safety at various levels.
CitationPimentel, J., "An Architecture for a Safety-Critical Steer-by-Wire System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0714, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0714.
- Leveson, N.G. Safeware Addison-Wesley
- Hammer, W. Handbook of System and Product Safety Prentice-Hall 1972
- Vesely, W.E. Goldberg, F.F. Roberts, N.H. Haasl, D.F. Fault Tree Handbook U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commision Jan. 1981
- Arlat, J. Laprie J.C. On the Dependability Evaluation of High Safety Systems 15 th IEEE Int. Symp. On Fault Tolerant Computing 318 323 June 1985 Ann Arbor, Mi., USA
- Levenson, N. Stolzy, J.L. Safety Analysis Using Petri Nets 15 th IEEE Int. Symp. On Fault Tolerant Computing 358 363 June 1985 Ann Arbor, Mi., USA
- Ziegler, C. Surete de Fonctionnement D'Architectures Informatiques Embarquees sur Automobile Toulouse, France
- Amberkar, S. D'Ambrosio, J.G. Murray, B.T. Wysocki, J. Czerny, B.J. A System-Safety Process for By-Wire Automotive Systems SAE Congress paper 2002
- Pimentel, J.R. Sacristan, T. A Fault Management Protocol for TTP/C Proc. IECON'01 1800 1805 Denver, CO. Nov. 2001
- Pimentel, J.R. Salazar, M. Dependability of Distributed Control System Fault Tolerant Units Proc. IECON'02 Seville, Spain Nov. 2002
- Choi, C.Y. Johnson, B.W. Profeta, J.A. III Safety Issues in the Comparative Analysis of Dependable Architectures IEEE Trans. On Reliability 46 3 316 322 Sept. 1997
- Kanoun, K. Ortalo-Borrel, M. Fault-Tolerant System Dependability - Explicit Modeling of Hardware and Software Component - Interactions IEEE Trans. On Reliability 49 4 363 376 Dec. 2000
- Pimentel, J.R. Kaniarz, J. “A CAN-based Application Level Error Detection and Fault Management Protocol” ECE Department, Kettering University Flint, Michigan Oct. 2003
- Jetsy, P.H. Hobley, K.M. Evans, R. Kendall, I. Safety Analysis of Vehicle-Based Systems European conference 2000
- Kopetz, H. “Fault Containment and Error Detection in the Time-Triggered Architecture,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. On Autonomous Descentralized Systems, ISADS 2003 139 148 April 2003