This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization by CFD Simulation of Spray Formation Parameters to Adapt Direct Injection High-Pressure Fuel Injectors to High-Speed SI-Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main objective of the paper is to describe the optimization work performed to adjust direct injection (DI)-technology to SI-engines running at high (8000 to 10000 rpm.) and extremely high speeds (more than 18000 rpm). In the first category are located a certain number of small and middle displacement two-stroke series produced engines. In the second category are the typical high power racing engines used for competitions like the formula 1.
The first part of the paper describes the particular requirements that an in-cylinder fuelling and mixture preparation will have to fulfill with the extremely short period available for introduction and vaporization of the fuel. The paper continues with a description of the different spray shapes, spray penetration velocities and atomization capabilities, which are optimal for the different combustion chamber architectures.
The second part of the paper presents the different simulations tools used to optimize the DI-mixture preparation parameters to a small displacement two-stroke single cylinder engine and to a ten cylinder high power racing engine. Both the methodology of optimization as well as experimental engine results for both engines are presented.
The paper concludes with a rating of the power/flexibility and pollutants emission capabilities of the DI-technology, when applied to high-speed SI-engines.
CitationPontoppidan, M., Gaviani, G., Bella, G., and De Maio, A., "Optimization by CFD Simulation of Spray Formation Parameters to Adapt Direct Injection High-Pressure Fuel Injectors to High-Speed SI-Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0539, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0539.
- Ando H. “Mitsubishi GDI Engine - Strategies to meet the European Requirement.” Proceedings from Engine and Environment Graz September 1997
- Dombrowski N. Johns W. R. “The aerodynamic instability and disintegration of viscous liquid sheets.” Chem. Engr. Sci. 18 203 214 1963
- Fraidl K. Walter F. Piock F. Wirth M. “Die Direkteinspritzung als Basis zukünftiger Ottomotorkonzepte.” 19 Wiener Motorensymposium 156 174 12 1998
- Grebe U. Gebhard P. Lôhnert T Opacak I Theis H. G. “Die neue Generation der mittleren Vierzylinder-Ottomotoren von Fiat-GM Powertrain.” Wiener Motorensymposium - VDI 12 539 34 59 2003
- Kotauschek W Diel H. Baretzky U Ilrich W. “Der Audi V8 FSI Biturbo Motor fûr das 24-Stunden-Rennen in Le Mans.” Wiener Motorensymposium - VDI 12 539 139 174 2003
- Krämer S. Nieter H. G. Frey J. Karl G. “Der DE-Ottomotor: Quo Vadis - wohin führt der Weg?” 20 Internationales Wiener Motoren Symposium, VDI 1999 1
- Nagakoa M. “Nonlinear Spheroidal Model for Single Droplet with Aerodynamic Force.” Trans. JSME B 66 647 2000
- Nagaoka M. Kawamura K. “A Deforming Model for Fuel Spray in Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines.” SAE paper 2001-01-1225
- Nagaoka M. Takeda K. Hayakawa M. Takada S. Yonesige K. “Fuel Spray Simulation of Slit Nozzle Injector for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine.” SAE paper 2002-01-1135
- Pontoppidan M. Bella G. Rocco V. “Mixture formation in SI-Engine intake Systems - A simplified theoretical Model with Experimental Verification.” ASME 1996 Spring Congress
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout. ” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior. ” SAE Paper 1999-01-0173
- Pontoppidan M Di Maio A. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 - Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing.” SAE Paper 2000-01-0532
- Pontoppidan M. Marcacci M. Arnone L. Demaio A “Comparative Study of the Capability of Mixture- and Liquid Based GDI Configurations to optimize a Lean Stratified SI-Combustion in a Two-Stroke, small Displacement Engine.” Setc paper 2001-01-1783/4206
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Study of the Benefits and Inconveniences of a Substantial Increase of the Available Rail-Pressure in GDI-Injector Assemblies” SAE paper 2002-01-1132
- Pontoppidan M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualisation Techniques to decrease the Optimisation Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimisation.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?” SAE paper 2003-01-0540