Modeling Dynamic Behavior of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems
Published March 8, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Precise control of fuel delivery and injection pressure is essential in modern DI diesel engines. Electronically controlled high-pressure injection systems provide features required by modern diesel engines such as precise injection quantity, flexible injection timing, flexible rate of injection with multiple injections and high injection pressures. A comprehensive experimental and numerical investigation has been performed to determine the influence of operating parameters and critical injector design parameters on the dynamic performance of advanced high-pressure electronically controlled diesel injection systems. The injection systems compared in this study are the High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) and the Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector (HEUI).
Experiments are carried out using a Bosch type injection-rate meter. Needle lift, injection-rate/rate shape, and injection pressure are measured. The dynamic effects of critical injector design parameters are characterized using a commercial modeling program. Also, CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis is carried out to study dynamic flow characteristic effects in the needle seat region and its effect on the nozzle injection characteristics.
The needle lift characteristics show that the measured injection-rate is a strong function of injection pressure and nozzle hole diameter. The simulations provide useful information for further detailed studies of diesel injection system characteristics.
CitationMulemane, A., Han, J., Lu, P., Yoon, S. et al., "Modeling Dynamic Behavior of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0536, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0536.
- AMESim 4.02 Tutorials and User Guide, and AMESim Technical Bulletins.
- Chiavola, O., and Giulianelli, P., 2001.“Modelling and Simulation of Common Rail Systems,” SAE Paper No.2001-01-3183.
- Bosch, W., 1966.“The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection,” SAE Paper No.660749.
- Robert Bosch GmbH, “Diesel-Engine Management - 2nd Edition”, 1999.
- Han, J. S., Wang, T. C., and Lai, M.-C., 1999, “Common-Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System Dynamics and Spray Characterization,” ILASS AMERICAS 1999, 12th Annual Conference On Liquid Atomization And Spray Systems, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, May 1999, pp. 201-205.
- Konig, G., Blessing, M., Kruger, C., Michels, U., and Schwarz, V., 2002. “Analysis of Flow and Cavitation Phenomena in Diesel Injection Nozzles and its Effects on Spray and Mixture Formation”, Internationales Syposium fur Verbrennungsdiagnostik der AVL Deutschland, Juni 2002 in Baden Baden.
- Han, J.S., Wang, T.C., Xie, X.B., Lai, M.C., Henein, N.A., Harrington, D. L., Pinson, J. and Miles, P. (2000) “Dynamics of Multiple-Injection Fuel Sprays in a Small-bore HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE 2000-01-1256.
- Stumpp, G., and Ricco, 1996. “Common Rail-An Attactive Fuel Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No.960870.
- Boehner, W. Hummel, K., 1997.“Common-Rail Injection System for Commercial Diesel Vehicles,” SAE Paper No.970345.
- Wang, T. C., Han, J.S., Xie, X.B., Lai, M.C., and Henein N.A., Schwarz, E., Bryzik, W., 2002 “Parametric Characterization of High-Pressure Diesel Fuel Injection Systems,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power, April 2003, Vol. 124.
- Stockner, A.R., Flinn., M.A., Camplin, F.A., 1993. “HEUI - A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems,” SAE Paper No. 930270.
- Glassey, S.F., Stockner, A.R., Flinn., M.A., 1993. “Development of the HEUI Fuel Injection System - Integration of Design, Simulation, Test, and Manufacturing,” SAE Paper No.930271.
- Ishii, Y., Zhang, L., 1999, “Simulating the effect of injection rate profile on emission and combustion in a DI diesel engine,” SAE paper No. 1999-08-0374.
- Waakisaka, Y., Azetsu, A., 2000, “Effect of fuel injection rate shaping on spray combustion,” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2793.
- Schwarz, V, and Konig, G., 1999. “Influence of the injector control on spray propagation, mixture formation, and combustion of heavy-duty diesel engines,” ImechE 1999 S492/S3.