This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Validation of a Finite Element Model of a Vehicle Occupant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A finite element human model has been developed to simulate occupant behavior and to estimate injuries in real-world car crashes. The model represents an average adult male of the US population in a driving posture. Physical geometry, mechanical characteristics and joint structures were replicated as precise as possible. The total number of nodes and materials is around 67,000 and 1,000 respectively. Each part of the model was not only validated against human test data in the literature but also for realistic loading conditions. Additional tests were newly conducted to reproduce realistic loading to human subjects. A data set obtained in human volunteer tests was used for validating the neck part. The head-neck kinematics and responses in low-speed rear impacts were compared between the measured and calculated results. The validity of the lower extremity part was examined by comparing the tibia force in a foot impact between the test data and simulation results. Preloading was applied to the Achilles tendon in order to simulate the muscular bracing in emergency braking. For the thorax part, a new test method was developed to obtain the viscoelastic responses of the human thorax under realistic loading conditions. In most papers in the literature, thorax tests were conducted by impacting the chest with a rigid cylinder representing the steering hub. In this study, the thorax was compressed not only by a rigid cylinder but also by a diagonal belt and by a wide band, representing the seatbelt and airbag, respectively. This paper describes the difference in the mechanical response of the human thorax under different types of loading and then compares the test data and simulation results.
CitationMurakami, D., Kitagawa, Y., Kobayashi, S., Kent, R. et al., "Development and Validation of a Finite Element Model of a Vehicle Occupant," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0325, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0325.
- Iwamoto, M. Kisanuki, Y. Watanabe, I. Furusu, K. Miki, K. Hasegawa, J. 2002 “Development of a Finite Element Model of the Total Human Model for Safety (THUMS) and Application to Injury Reconstruction” Proc. 2002 Conference of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) 31 42
- Thollon, L. Arnoux, P. J. Kayvantash, K. Cavallero, C. Brunet, C. 2002 “Human Injury Evaluation Using Humos Radioss Finite Element Model” Proc. 2002 International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) 369 372
- Engineering Systems International 1998 H-Dummy™ Version 1.6 User's Manual
- Wittek, A. Kajzer, J. 1997 “Modelling of Muscle Influence on the Kinematics of the Head-Neck Complex in Impacts” Memoirs of the School of Engineering Nagoya University 49 155 205
- Wittek, A. Ono, K. Kajzer, J. 1999 “Application of Modified Neck Model by Nitshe in Investigation of Kinematic Responses of Cervical Spine in Low-Speed Rear-End Collisions: Effect of Muscle Activity” Proc. PAM User Conference in Asia 1999 (PUCA '99) 433 448
- Kobayashi, S. Kitagawa, Y. 2003 “Development of a Finite Element Model of the Human Neck for Whiplash Simulation” Proc. 18th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Paper 208
- Begeman, P. Balakrishnan, P. Levine, R. King, A. 1993 “Dynamic Human Ankle Response to Inversion And Eversion” Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference Paper 933115 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Begeman, P. Prasad, P. 1990 “Human Ankle Impact Response in Dorsiflexion” Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper 902308 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Morgan, R. Eppinger, R. 1991 “Ankle Joint Injury Mechanism for Adults in Frontal Automotive Impact” Proc. 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper 912902 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Yoganandan, N. Pintar, F. Boynton, M. Begeman, P. Prasad, P. Kuppa, S. Morgan, R. Eppinger, R. 1996 “Dynamic Axial Tolerance of the Human Foot-Ankle Complex” Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference Paper 962426 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Taylor, A. Morris, A., P. Thomas, P. Wallace, A. 1997 “Mechanisms of Lower Extremity Injuries to Front Seat Car Occupants - An In-Depth Accident Analysis” Proc. 1997 Conference of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI) 53 72
- Kitagawa, Y. Ichikawa, H. King, A. Begeman, C. 1998 “A Severe Ankle and Foot Injury in Frontal Crashes and Its Mechanism” Proc. 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper 983145 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Kent, R. Bass, C. Woods, W. Sherwood, C. Madeley, N. Salzar, R. Kitagawa, Y. 2003 “Muscle Tetanus and Loading Condition Effects on the Elastic and Viscous Characteristics of the Thorax” Traffic Injury Prevention (TIP) 4-4 297 314
- Lemosse, D. Le Rue, O. Diop, A. Skalli, W. Marec, P. Lavaste, F. 1998 “Characterization of the Mechanical Behaviour Parameters of the Costo-Vertebral Joint” European Spine J. 7 16 23