This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laboratory Study of Hybrid-III and THOR Dummy Head/neck Responses to Airbag Load at Close Proximity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study of the differences in head/neck responses to airbag load at close proximity between the Hybrid III and THOR dummies has been conducted using the pneumatically driven Airbag Test Simulator (ATS) as the test platform. Tests were conducted at the ISO-1 and ISO-2 positions using two different airbags. Data show significant differences between Hybrid III and THOR in their head/neck responses to airbag loads. Hybrid III generally measures stronger head/neck loads than THOR. THOR data indicate strong differences between muscle load and occipital condyle load. Data confirm THOR's capability to distinguish the total head/neck cross-section load from the occipital condyle pin load. The results provide guidance in developing advanced dummies for crash injury research and criteria development.
CitationChan, P. and Lu, Z., "Laboratory Study of Hybrid-III and THOR Dummy Head/neck Responses to Airbag Load at Close Proximity," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0320, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0320.
- Haffner, M., Eppinger, R., Rangarajan, N., Shams, T., Artis, M., and Deach, D., (2001) “Foundations and Elements of the NHTSA THOR Alpha ATD Design,” Paper #458, 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, HS 809 220 (U.S. DOT, 2001).
- Foster, J. K., Kortge, J. O., and Wolanin, M. J. (1977). “Hybrid III-A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy,” SAE Paper 770938, Proceedings of the 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Hoofman, M., Ratingen, M.V., and Wismans, J., (1998). “Evaluation of the Dynamic and Kinematic Performance of the THOR Dummy: Neck Performance,” Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference.
- Shaw, G., Crandall, J.R., and Butcher, J., (2000). “Biofidelity Evaluation of the THOR Advanced Frontal Crash Test Dummy,” Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference.
- Don, B., Ratingen, M., Bermond, F., Masson, C., Vezin, P., Hynd, D., Kallieris, D., and Martinez, L., (2003). “Evaluation of the Performance of the THOR-alpha Dummy,” Proceedings of the 47th Stapp Car Crash Conference.
- Xu, L., Jensen, J., Byrnes, K., Kim, A., Agaram, V., Davis, K.L., Hultman, R.W., Kostyniuk, G., Marshall, M.E., Mertz, H., Nusholtz, G., Rouhana, S. and Scherer, R., (2000). “Comparative Performance Evaluation of THOR and Hybrid III,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0161, SAE 2000 World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, March 6-9, 2000.
- Patrick, L., Nyquist, G., (1972). “Air Bag Effects on the Out-of-Position Child,” Second International Conference on Passive Restraints, 1972, SAE Paper 720442, in Biomechanics of Impact Injuries and Injury Tolerances of the Abdomen, Lumbar Spine and Pelvis Complex. edited by Backaitis S., (SAE, 1995).
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F. A., Skrade, D., Chmiel, W., Reinartz, J. M., and Sances, A., Jr. (1993). “Thoracic Biomechanics with Air Bag Restraint,” SAE Paper 933121, in the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, P-269 (SAE, 1993).
- Bass, C. R., Crandall, J. R., Bolton, R. R., Pilkey, W. D., Khaewpong N., and Sun, E. (1999). “Deployment of Air Bags into the Thorax of an Out-of-Position Dummy,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0764, Air Bag Technology 1999, SAE SP-1411.
- Horsch, J., Lau, I., Andrzejak, D., Viano, D., Melvin, J., Pearson, J., Cok, D., and Miller, G. (1990). “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads,” SAE Paper 902324, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, 1990.
- Melvin, J. W., Horsch, J. D., McCleary, J. D., Wideman, L. C., Jensen, J. L., and Wolanin M. J. (1993). “Assessment of Air bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid II Dummy,” in the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, P-269 (SAE, 1993).
- Pilkey, W. D. (1996). “UVA Test Report, OOPS ISO-2 Position Series 1 Tests,” prepared for NHTSA, Aug. 24, 1996.
- Pilkey, W. D. (1996). “UVA Test Report, OOPS ISO-1 Position Series 1 Tests,” prepared for NHTSA, Aug. 24, 1996.
- Bandak, F., Chan, P. C., Ho, K. H., and Lu, Z. (2002). “An Experimental Air Bag Test System for the Study of Air Bag Deployment Loads.” Int. J. Crashworthiness, 7(2), pp.1-12.
- Lu, Z. and Chan, P. C. (2003). “Airbag Test Simulator (ATS) Calibration and Parametric Studies Using Simple Targets,” Jaycor Technical Report J2997.102-03-189, Contract No. DAMD17-96-C-6007, January 2003.
- SAE J2238 (1995). “Airbag Inflator Ballistic Tank Test Procedure,” SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, March 1995.
- Hinch, J., Hollowell, W.T., Kanianthra, J., Evans, W., Klein, T., Longthorne, A., Ratchford, S., Morris, J., and Subramanian, R., “Air Bag Technology in Light Passenger Vehicles,” NHTSA Technical Report, December 16, 1999.
- ISO DTR 10982 (1995). “Road Vehicle - Test Procedures for Evaluating Out of Position Vehicle Occupant Interactions with Deploying Airbags,” International Standards Organization, Draft Technical Report 10982, November 21, 1995.
- SAE J211 (1995). “Instrumentation for Impact Test,” SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, March 1995.
- User Manual, “THOR Instrumentation Data Processing Program”, November 2001, GESAC-01-06.
- Kleinberger, M., Sun, E., Eppinger, R., Kuppa, S., Saul, R., “Development of Improved Injury Criteria for the Assessment of Advanced Automotive Restraint Systems,” NHTSA Technical Report, September 1998.
- Nusholtz, G. S., Kang, J., Agaram, V., Deng, B., Eagle, P. and Kostyniuk, G. (2000). “Nature of Hybrid III Dummy Neck Response Due to Air Bag Loading,” SAE Paper 00S-05.