This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray Guided DISI
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Spray Guided DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) is being proposed as a next-generation DISI and is expected to reduce the fuel consumption and the emissions than a Wall Guided DISI that is currently in the mainstream. With the aim of developing a Spray Guided DISI, the evaluation technologies for the spray behavior and the combustion characteristics in a single cylinder transparent engine, the measurement technologies for the mixture formation by LIEF (Laser Induced Exciplex Fluorescence) method and using a Fast Response FID (Flame Ionization Detector), and the analysis technologies for the spray behavior and the mixture formation with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) technology were established. Based on these evaluation techniques, the behavior of spray and mixture formation by a Swirl Injector and a Multi Hole Injector were evaluated.
As a result, it was found that the characteristics of the Multi Hole Injector are suitable for the Spray Guided DISI because it is less affected by in-cylinder airflow since the spray penetration force is strong. Furthermore, since it was recognized that there was room for improvement in mixture formation in the Multi Hole Injector that was evaluated, improvement measures was examined and the Multi Hole Injector was improved. Then the spray and combustion behavior of the improved Multi Hole Injector was examined and the establishment of spray-guided combustion was confirmed.
CitationHonda, T., Kawamoto, M., Katashiba, H., Sumida, M. et al., "A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray Guided DISI," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0046, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0046.
- Iwamoto Y. Noma K. Yamaguchi T. Ando H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Paper 970541
- Kakuhou A. Urushihara T. Itoh T. Takagi Y. “Characteristics of Mixture Formation in a Direct Injection SI Engine with Optimized In-cylinder Swirl Air Motion” SAE Paper 1999-01-0505
- Han Z. Yi J. Trigui N. “Stratified Mixture Formation and Piston Surface Wetting in a DISI Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-2655
- Stevens E. Steeper R. “Piston Wetting in an Optical DISI Engine: Fuel Films, Pool Fires, and Soot Generation” SAE Paper 2001-01-1203
- Persson Fredrik Forsth Michael Rosen Arne “A Survey of Model Fuel Mixtures Suitable for Exciplex-Spectroscopy for Liquid/Vapor Visualization” Proceedings of the 18th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization & Spray Systems, ILASS Europe 2002
- Summers T. Collings N. “Modelling the Transit Time of a Fast Response Flame Ionization Detector During In-Cylinder Sampling” SAE Paper 950160
- Kawajiri K. Yonezawa T. Ohuchi H. Sumida M. Katashiba H. “Study of Interaction Between Spray and Air Motion, and Spray Wall Impingement” SEA Paper 2002-01-0836