This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Armoured Vehicle Structural Design Through Modeling, Impact Analysis and Virtual Reality
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 22, 2003 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Armoured tracked vehicle is a complex weapon platform. It accommodates weapon system, gun control systems, fire control systems for accurate firing, high-density powerpack, Automatic transmission system, hydro pneumatic suspension for better mobility and crew comfort at different type of terrain. Designing of the systems & subsystems and packaging them in the limited space available in the vehicle considering the ergonomics, maintainability and accessibility aspects is a mammoth task. The Design of the Armour systems for structural and ballistic (protection) application is very critical where the actual experiment is highly time consuming and expensive. Modeling, simulation and impact analysis tools substantially facilitate the developmental work on Armoured tracked vehicle. This paper outlines how modeling, impact analysis and virtual reality tools are employed for the development of Armoured vehicles.
CitationRoopchand, J., Hanumanna, D., and Radhakrishnan, R., "Armoured Vehicle Structural Design Through Modeling, Impact Analysis and Virtual Reality," SAE Technical Paper 2003-28-0018, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-28-0018.
- Thomson, W.T. “An approximate theory of armour penetration” Int J. Applied physics 26 1953 90 82
- Wilkins, M.L. “Mechanics of penetration and perforation” Int.0 Journal Engineering Science 16 1978 793 807
- Woodward, R.L. “The interrelation of failure modes observed in the penetration of metallic target.” Int.J. Impact Engineering 2 1984 212 219
- Crouch. I.G. Woodward, R.L. “The use of simulation techniques to study perforation mechanism in laminated metallic composite” Pro. Conf. On high stain rate behaviour of metallic materials Oxford March 1989
- Bless. S.J. Rosenbery, Z Yoon, B. “Hyper velocity penetration of ceramics” International Journal of Impact Engineering 5 1991 165 171
- Anderson Mats “Impact on cerami8cs armour materials with small tungsten carbide spheres, Experimental & numerical studies” Int Conf. Ballistics 1992 June 1992 137 144
- Delagrave Richard “Ballistic Protection: system approach” European Armoured Fighting vehicle symposium 1996 RMCS UK
- Dixit. S.N. Kutumbarao, V.V. “The influence of plate hardness on ballistic penetration of thick steel plates” Int J. impact Engg 16 2 1995 293 320
- Suresh, S. Mortensen, A. “Fundamental of functionally gradient materials” The university Press Cambridge 1997
- Balamurugan, V. “Dynamic analysis of military tracked vehicle” Defence Science Journal 50 2 April 2000 155 165