This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sensitivity Analysis for Structure Borne Noise Reduction of Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 18, 2003 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
The demands resulting from stringent noise legislations are increasing rapidly. It has become necessary to establish optimum design methods for low noise engines. In this paper, a methodology for structure borne engine noise control using the combination of experimental and computer aided techniques is presented. Sensitivity analysis for noise reduction is carried out for various structural modifications. The major structural improvements include addition of ribs, stiffening plate and crankcase shape modifications. The final models were validated using experimental analysis techniques.
CitationKalsule, D., Wagh, S., and Athavale, S., "Sensitivity Analysis for Structure Borne Noise Reduction of Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-26-0037, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-26-0037.
- Russell, M. F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE 820238 1982
- Busch, G. Maurell, R. Meyer J. “Investigation on Influence of Engine Block Design Features on Noise and Vibration” SAE 911071 1991
- Lalor, N. Petyl, M. “Modes of Engine Structure Vibration as a Source of Noise” SAE 750833 1975
- Kubozuka T. et al. “Analytical Study on Engine Noise Caused by Vibration of the Cylinder Block and Crankshaft” SAE 830346 1983
- Gomes, E. et al. “NVH Optimization of the 1.2 L DIATA Engine” SAE- 1999-01-1744 , SAE-P-342, Proceeding of the 1999 Noise and Vibration Conf. 2 1999
- Beidl C. V. Rust, A Rasserl, M. “Key Steps and Methods in the Design and Development of Low Noise Engines” SAE 1999-01-1745 , SAE P-342, Proc of the 1999 Noise and Vibration Conference 2 1999
- Okamura, H. et al. “A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Appproach to the Analysis Of Three-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshafts: Part 1 - Background and Application to Free Vibration” Vehicle Noise ASME NCA 9
- Morita, T. Okamura, H. “A Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Approach to the Analysis Of Three-Dimensional Vibrations of Automobile Engine Crankshafts: Part 2 - Application to Firing Conditions” Vehicle Noise ASME NCA 9
- Norton, M. P. “Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers” Cambridge University Press Publication 1989
- Athavale, S. M. “Structure Borne Noise Control” Workshop on Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) for Automotive Engineering ARAI Pune, India 2002
- Aoyam, F. Tanaka S. Miura Y. “Vibration Mode Analysis for Controlling Noise Emission from Automotive Diesel Engine” SAE 790361 1979
- Yoon, S. H Lee, K. Y. “A Study on the Optimization Design of a Stiffening Plate for the Vibration Reduction of an Engine Block” SAE 912507 1991