This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Pd/Rh Catalytic Converter on Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 18, 2003 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The investigations relating to the evaluation of an automobile catalytic converter are reported in this paper. These investigations are aimed at arriving at a data that would pave the way for the optimization of a catalytic converter by experimental and computer simulation at steady and transient operating conditions
The converter used in the present study contains Pd, Rh binary catalyst (10:1) impregnated on ultra thin ceramic substrate. Characterization of catalytic converter was done for its compositions using Inductively Coupled Argon Plasma (ICAP) and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). The necessary instrumentation developed, which include pre and post converter emissions, backpressure and exhaust gas temperature are described for both steady and transient conditions. The experimental setup has been designed for assessing the performance of a catalytic converter on a passenger car at different operating conditions. The A/F ratio of the engine was mapped at different vehicle speeds on a carbureted engine. Performance of the Pd/Rh converter was analysed under steady speeds and Indian Driving Cycle (IDC) for simulating steady and transient conditions. Thermal behaviour of ultra thin ceramic substrate is discussed after conducting experiments over a wide range of operating conditions. From the above tests it was observed that the performance of the catalytic converter was found to be quite satisfactory.
CitationSubramanian, M., Subrahmanyam, J., and Babu, M., "Evaluation of Pd/Rh Catalytic Converter on Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2003-26-0016, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-26-0016.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Brisley R. J., et al. “The use of Palladium in Advanced catalysts” SAE Paper, 950259
- Van Y. Pren. R., et al. “Novel Pd based Three-way Catalysts” Catalysis and Automotive Pollution control IV Kruse N. et al Elsevier Science Publication 1998
- Nunan J. G., et al. “Impact of Pt-Rh and Pd-Rh interactions on performance of bimetal catalysts” SAE Paper, 950258
- Gonzalez- Velasco J. R,. et al. “Comparative Three-way Behaviour of Pt, Pd, Rh Single and Combined phases in a full Gas Mixture with Oscillating Feedsream” Catalysis and Automotive Pollution Control IV 73 91 1998 Kruse N. et al.
- Subramanian, M. “Design and Optimization of Catalytic Converter for Spark Ignition Engines” Ph.D Thesis I.I.T Delhi 2001