This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Moan and Whine Noise Generated by Hydraulic Pumps of Power Steering Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 18, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The acoustic development of vehicles is a very important step during its design to ensure its success in a competitive marketplace. In recent years, the advances on the noise and vibration control engineering in vehicles provided the production of quite and comfortable cars. The main noise and vibration sources in vehicles, i.e., engine, gearbox and exhaust systems, had its noise levels considered reduced, and, as a consequence, other noise sources became more easily observed.
The noise generated by pumps of power steering systems is an example of this kind of problem. For the majority of automotive applications are used vane pumps. These pumps generate noise due the vane passing frequency. Basically, the hydraulic pump noise can be classified as Moan or Whine, regarding the operating condition.
This work presents a methodology to approach the noise and vibration problem from hydraulic pumps of power steering systems. This methodology is based in experimental measurements, using sensors, and subjective evaluation, using a Sound Quality system. A new Sound Quality metric is presented, allowing the comparison between different types of pumps, defect detection and evaluation of noise control techniques to reduce the moan and whine noise.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Suction Flow Ripple in Power Steering Pumps|
|Technical Paper||Finite Element Vibration Studies of As-Installed Power Steering Pumps|
|Technical Paper||Power Steering Pump Sound Quality and Vibration - Test Stand Development|
CitationTriches, M., Cordioli, J., Gerges, S., and Pulice, A., "Analysis of Moan and Whine Noise Generated by Hydraulic Pumps of Power Steering Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3581, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3581.
- Fernholz C. M. Bishop L. F. “Use of binaural measurement and analysis techniques in the establishment of steering pump design tolerances for noise, vibration and harshness performance” SAE Paper 1999-01-1852
- Sciortino G. Bamdad-Soofi J. “Identification and elimination of steering systems squawk noise” SAE Paper 972058
- Matsunaga T. Tanaka T. Nishimura S. “Analysis of self-excited vibration in hydraulic power steering system: Prevention against vibration by supply line” SAE Paper 2001-01-0488
- Bleitz D. Fernholz C. Ivkovich S. “Automated production noise testing of power steering pumps” SAE Paper 971911
- Qatu M. S. Dougherty M. L. Smid G. E. “Effects of tuner parameters on hydraulic noise and vibration” SAE Paper 1999-01-1776
- Dickinson A. L. Edge K. A. Johnston D. N. “Measurement and prediction of power steering vane pump fluidborne noise” SAE Paper 931294