This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Dynamometer Emission Measurements from Refuse Trucks Using Dual-Fuel™ Natural Gas Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emissions from 10 refuse trucks equipped with Caterpillar C-10 engines were measured on West Virginia University's (WVU) Transportable Emissions Laboratory in Riverside, California. The engines all used a commercially available Dual-Fuel™ natural gas (DFNG) system supplied by Clean Air Partners Inc. (CAP), and some were also equipped with catalyzed particulate filters (CPFs), also from CAP. The DFNG system introduces natural gas with the intake air and then ignites the gas with a small injection of diesel fuel directly into the cylinder to initiate combustion. Emissions were measured over a modified version of a test cycle (the William H. Martin cycle) previously developed by WVU. The cycle attempts to duplicate a typical curbside refuse collection truck and includes three modes: highway-to-landfill delivery, curbside collection, and compaction. Emissions were compared to similar trucks that used Caterpillar C-10 diesels equipped with Engelhard's DPX catalyzed particulate filters. The average emissions from the trucks using DFNG engines and CPFs showed the same trends in all modes--reduced oxides of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and similar particulate matter emissions--compared to the similar diesel trucks.
|Technical Paper||The Development of Urea-SCR Technology for US Heavy Duty Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Emissions from Current Diesel Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||A Demonstration of Transit Bus Particulate Traps in Ottawa Ontario|
CitationWalkowicz, K., Proc, K., Wayne, S., Nine, R. et al., "Chassis Dynamometer Emission Measurements from Refuse Trucks Using Dual-Fuel™ Natural Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3366, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3366.
- Norton, P. Frailey, M. Clark, N. Lyons, D. Gautam, M. Add, J. Beck N. “Chassis Dynamometer Emissions Measurements from Trucks and Buses using Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3525 1999
- “Dual-Fuel Truck Fleet Start-Up Experience,” Center for Transportation Technologies and Systems, Natural Renewable Energy Laboratory, U. S. Department of Energy Golden CO 1998
- Wang, W. Gautam, M. Sun, X. Bata, R. Clark, N. Palmer, M. Lyons, D. “Emissions Comparisons of Twenty-Six Heavy Duty Vehicles Operated on Conventional and Alternative Fuels,” SAE Paper 932952 1993
- Clark, N. Gautam, M. Bata, R. Lyons, D. “Design and Operation of a New Transportable Laboratory for Emissions Testing of Heavy-Duty Trucks and Buses,” Int. Journal of Vehicle Design: Heavy Vehicle Systems 2 3 4 285 299 1995
- Wang, W. Bata, R. Lyons, D. Clark, N. Palmer, M. Gautam, M. Howell, A. Rapp, B. “Transient Response in a Dynamometer Power Absorption System,” SAE Paper 920252 1992
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Part 86, Subpart N “Protection of Environment,” US Government Printing Office 1998