This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Emergency Parking System for Automobiles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The object of this work was to design an innovative and an improved emergency parking brake system for the automobile.
The engineering approach and technical design have been developed based on standard commercially available brake components.
This system operates on the basis of pneumatic chambers connected to individual wheel brakes. Under normal driving conditions air pump maintains a certain level of pressure in a special receiver. A system comprised of two automatically operating valves provides high-pressure air delivery to the pneumatic chambers, which switch the parking brake system on or off. In the case of air pump failure there is enough pressure in the receiver for few cycles of on and off braking. In the case of main braking system failure high-pressure emergency brake system could be used for regular braking.
The general system design and specific details of each component is described in details. An appropriate algorithm and numerical calculation is suggested in order to design, develop and test this engineering approach.
The system discussed should make automobile control and regulation more convenient and less dependent on driving and parking conditions (including driver physiological status) and increases the efficiency and reliability of brake performance thereby decreasing the risk of automobile accidents. This more convenient parking brake system could replace existing mechanical version.
|Journal Article||Modeling, Experimentation and Sensitivity Analysis of a Pneumatic Brake System in Commercial Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Brake Balance via the Computer|
|Technical Paper||Heavy Vehicle Braking - U.S. versus Europe|
- Alexey V. Regalov - Ulyanovsk State Polytechnical University, Machinery Department Dynamac Corporation, DYN-3, Kennedy Space Center University of Florida, Agricultural & Bio/Engineering Department
- Iaroslavna V. Regalova - Ulyanovsk State Polytechnical University, Machinery Department Dynamac Corporation, DYN-3, Kennedy Space Center University of Florida, Agricultural & Bio/Engineering Department
CitationRegalov, A. and Regalova, I., "Development of an Emergency Parking System for Automobiles," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3307, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3307.
- Avallone Eugene A. Baumeister Theodore III Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers Tenth 1996 2937
- Farobin Y. E. Theory and Construction of Automobile Moscow Mashinostroenie 1979 321
- Hodgman Charles D. Handbook of Chemistry and Physics Thirty First Chemical Rubber Publishing Co. Cleveland, Ohio 1949 2737
- Methods of UAZ Braking System Calculations Stepanov A. P. Moscow Mashinostroeniye 1967 793
- Prosvirin A. D. Automobil GAZ - 53A, Atlas of Constructions Mashinostroeniye Moscow 1970 157
- Skotnikov V. A. The Fundamentals of the Theory of Automobile and Tractor Calculations Moscow Agropromizdat 1986 378
- Stepanov A. P. Chaykovsky I. P. Automobil GAZ - 53A Moscow 1968 217
- Theory of automobile: formulas, algorithms, and optimality criterions Methodical Explanations and Directions Dyakov I. F. Ulyanovsk 1998 167
- Theory of automobile: technical - engineering parameters calculations Methodical Explanations and Directions
- Dyakov F. Ulyanovsk 1998 253