This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Powersplit Hybrid Electric Vehicle Control with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper analyzes the control of the series-parallel powersplit used in the 2001 Michigan Tech FutureTruck. An electronic throttle controller is implemented and a new control algorithm is proposed and tested. A vehicle simulation has been created in MATLAB and the control algorithm implemented within the simulation. A program written in C has also been created that implements the control algorithm in the test vehicle. The results from both the simulation and test vehicle are presented and discussed and show a 15% increase in fuel economy. With the increase in fuel economy, and through the use of the original exhaust after treatment, lower emissions are also expected.
CitationNesbitt, R., Muehlfeld, C., and Pandit, S., "Powersplit Hybrid Electric Vehicle Control with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3280, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3280.
- Yamaguchi K., Moroto S., Kobayashi K., Kawamoto M., Miyaishi Y. “Development of a New Hybrid System - Dual System”, SAE Special Publication: Strategies in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Design, SP-1156, pg. 25-33, 1996.
- Haapala, K., Thul A., Andrasko S., Muehlfeld C., Brandon B., Nesbitt R., Beard J. “Design and Development of the 2001 Michigan Tech FutureTruck, a Powersplit Hybrid Electric Vehicle”. SAE FutureTruck Design Reports, Detroit, 2001.
- Nesbitt R. “Powersplit Hybrid Electric Vehicle Control with Data Dependent Systems Forecasting of Accessory Loads”. Thesis Michigan Technological University, Mechanical Engineering Department, 2001.
- Pandit S., Wu S. “Time Series and System Analysis with Applications”. Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, FL, 1993.
- Nesbitt R., Muehlfeld C., Pandit S. “Powersplit Hybrid Electric Vehicle Control With Data Dependent Systems Forecasting” ASME IMECE2003-42260.
- Muehlfeld C., Pandit S. “Speed and Throttle Position Forecasting on a Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle.” ASME IMECE2003-42262.
- Rizoulis D. “Control Strategies for a Series-Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle”. Thesis, Michigan Technological University, Electrical Engineering Department, 1998..
- “Bosch Automotive Handbook 4th Edition”. Robert Bosch GmbH, 1996.
- Gillespie T. “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics”. Society of Automotive Engineers, 1999.
- Hochgraf C., Ryan M., Wiegman H. “Engine Control Strategy for a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle Incorporating Load-Leveling and Computer Controlled Energy Management”. SAE Special Publication: Strategies in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Design, SP-1156, pg. 11-24, 1996.
- Mayer T., Schroeder D. “Robust Control of a Parallel Hybrid Drivetrain with a CVT”. SAE Special Publication: Strategies in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Design, SP-1156, pg. 47-54, 1996.
- Heywood J. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”. McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, 1988.