This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined Effects of Fuel-Type and Engine Speed on Intake Temperature Requirements and Completeness of Bulk-Gas Reactions for HCCI Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To gain a better understanding of how the onset of incomplete bulk-gas reactions changes with engine speed and fuel-type, a parametric study of HCCI combustion and emissions has been conducted. The experimental part of the study was performed at naturally aspirated conditions and included fueling sweeps at four engine speeds (600, 1200, 1800 and 2400 rpm) for research grade gasoline, pure iso-octane and two mixtures of the primary reference fuels (i.e. n-heptane and iso-octane) with octane numbers of 80 and 60. Additionally, single-zone CHEMKIN computations with a detailed mechanism for iso-octane were conducted.
The results show that there is a strong coupling between the ignition quality of the fuel and the required intake temperature to phase the combustion at TDC. There is also a direct influence of intake temperature on the completeness of combustion. This is the case because the CO-to-CO2 reactions are highly sensitive to the peak combustion temperatures.
For fuels with very little cool-flame activity (i.e. gasoline and pure iso-octane), the fuel/air-equivalence ratio for onset of incomplete bulk-gas reactions is independent of engine speed. This occurs because the increased compression temperatures required to maintain ignition as the engine speed is increased also increase the rate of CO-to-CO2 conversion, therefore balancing the shorter time available for the combustion event. The minimum peak combustion temperature for complete combustion is only weakly dependent on engine speed and ranges roughly from 1470 K at 600 rpm to 1550 K at 2400 rpm.
However, for fuels with a significant fraction of n-heptane, the onset of incomplete bulk-gas reactions is dependent on engine speed with a shift towards higher fuel/air-equivalence ratios for lower engine speeds. This is caused by the strong speed dependence of the cool-flame chemistry, which necessitates lower intake temperatures at lower engine speeds to maintain combustion phasing at TDC. This leads to lower peak combustion temperatures and a commensurate rise of the CO-emissions unless the fueling is increased.
CitationSjöberg, M. and Dec, J., "Combined Effects of Fuel-Type and Engine Speed on Intake Temperature Requirements and Completeness of Bulk-Gas Reactions for HCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3173, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3173.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines 2003
Number: SP-1805; Published: 2003-10-31
Number: SP-1805; Published: 2003-10-31
- Yang, J. Culp, T. Kenney, T. “Development of a Gasoline Engine System Using HCCI Technology - The Concept and the Test Results” SAE Paper 2002-01-2832 2002
- Christensen, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3679 1999
- Haraldsson, G. Tunestål, P. Johansson, B. Hyvönen, J. “HCCI Combustion Phasing in a Multi Cylinder Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Paper 2002-01-2858 2002
- Kaahaaina, N. B. Simon, A. J. Caton, P. A. Edwards, C. F. “Use of Dynamic Valving to Achieve Residual-Affected Combustion,” SAE Paper 2001-01-0549 2001
- Law, D Kemp, D. Allen, J. Kirkpatrick G. Copland T. “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train,” SAE Paper 2001-01-0251 2001
- Agrell, F. Ångström, H-E. Eriksson, B. Wikander, J. Linderyd, J. “Integrated Simulation and Engine Test of Closed Loop HCCI Control by Aid of Variable Valve Timings” SAE Paper 2003-01-0748 2003
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Hultqvist, A. “The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1893 2001
- Aceves, S.M. Flowers, D.L. Espinosa-Loza, F. Martinez-Frias, J. Dibble, R.W. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Hessel, R.P. “Piston-Liner Crevice Geometry Effect on HCCI Combustion by Multi-Zone Analysis” SAE Paper 2002-01-2869 2002
- Dec, J. E. “A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1309 2002
- Dec, J.E. Sjöberg, M. “A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion - the Sources of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 2003-01-0752 2003
- Sjöberg, M. Edling, L-O. Eliassen, T. Magnusson, L. Ångström, H-E. “GDI HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emissions Formation,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0106 2002
- Kaiser, E. W. Yang, J. Culp, T. Xu, N. Maricq, M. M. “HCCI Engine-Out Emissions - Does Flame Propagation Occur in HCCI?” Int. J. Engine Research 3 185 195 2002
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Amnéus, P. Mauss, F. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” SAE Paper 980787 1998
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Pilot Fuel,” SAE Paper 2000-01-1835 2000
- Olsson, J-O. Tunestål, P. Haraldsson, G. Johansson, B. “A Turbo Charged Dual Fuel HCCI Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-1896 2001
- Koopmans, L. Ström, H. Lundgren, S. Backlund, O. Denbratt, I. “Demonstrating a SI-HCCI-SI Mode Change on a Volvo 5-Cylinder Electronic Valve Control Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-0753 2003
- Osborne, R.J. Li, G. Sapsford, S.M. Stokes, J. Lake, T.H. Heikal, M.R. “Evaluation of HCCI for Future Gasoline Powertrains” SAE Paper 2003-01-0750 2003
- Shirawaka, T. Miura, M. Itoyama, H. Aiyoshizawa, E. Kimura, S. “Study of Model-based Cooperative Control of EGR and VGT for a Low-temperature, Premixed Combustion Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-2006 2001
- Olsson, J-O. Tunestål, P. Ulfvik, J. Johansson, B. “The Effect of Cooled EGR on Emissions and Performance of a Turbocharged HCCI Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-0743 2003
- Aroonsrisopon, T. Sohm, V. Werner, P. Foster, D.E. Morikawa, T. Iida, M. “An Investigation Into the Effect of Fuel Composition on HCCI Combustion Characteristics” SAE Paper 2002-01-2830 2002
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Species sensitivity data for the Rosemount 400A FID Rosemount Analytical, Division of Emerson Process Management Orrville, OH
- Minoru, I. Foster, D. E. Hayashi, M. Martin, J. K. “Characteristics of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Operation for Variations in Compression Ratio, Speed, and Intake Temperature while using n -Butane as a Fuel,” J. of Engr. for Gas Turbines and Power 124 2002
- Kee R. J. Rupley F. M. Miller J. A. Coltrin M. E. Grcar J. F. Meeks E. Moffat H. K. Lutz A. E. Dixon-Lewis G. Smooke M. D. Warnatz J. Evans G. H. Larson R. S. Mitchell R. E. Petzold L. R. Reynolds W. C. Caracotsios M. Stewart W. E. Glarborg P. Chemkin Collection Reaction Design, Inc. San Diego, CA 1999
- Lutz, A. E. Kee, R. J. Miller, J. A. “Senkin: A FORTRAN Program for Predicting Homogeneous Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics with Sensitivity Analysis,” Sandia National Laboratories Report No. SAND87-8248
- Curran, H. J. Gaffuri, P. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of Iso-Octane Oxidation,” Combust. Flame 129 253 280 2002
- Curran, H. J. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. Callahan, C. V. Dryer, F. L. Proc. Combust. Inst. 27 379 387 1997
- Curran, H. J. Gaffuri, P. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. Combust. Flame 114 149 177 1998
- Kelly-Zion, P. L. Dec, J. E. “A Computational Study of the Effect of Fuel-Type on Ignition Time in HCCI Engines,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 28 1187 1194 2000
- Westbrook, C.K. “Chemical Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Ignition in Practical Combustion Systems” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28 2000 1563 1577
- Kalghatgi, G. Risberg, P. Ångström, H-E. “A Method of Defining Ignition Quality of Fuels in HCCI Engines” SAE Paper 2003-01-1816 JSAE 20030120 2003
- Eng. J.A. Leppard, W.R. Sloane, T.M. “The Effect of POx on the Autoignition Chemistry of n-Heptane and Isooctane in an HCCI Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-2861 2002
- Erlandsson, O. Johansson, B. Silversand, F. “Hydrocarbon (HC) Reduction of Exhaust Gases from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Using Different Catalytic Mesh-coatings” SAE Paper 2000-01-1847 2000