This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using Optimization as a Tool in Fuel System Conceptual Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Choosing between concepts is often the most critical part of the design process. Different concepts have different advantages and disadvantages. The concept that is the best choice is most often dependent on the top level requirements. Sometimes there may also be a trade off between concept choice and the top requirements. In aircraft (a/c) fuel system design it has often proved difficult to find the switching point where the superior concept is changed. This sometimes makes the designer conservative and leads to the selection of a concept with too high a penalty. There is also a risk for the opposite and perhaps worse scenario: That the designer strives to reduce weight and cost and therefore, accidentally, chooses an under achieving concept and thus induces large downstream cost if late redesign or retro modifications are necessary.
This paper shows how optimization has been successfully used at Saab Aerospace as a tool that supports concept selection. The example shown is the choice of fuel transfer method for a ventral drop tank. The example also illustrates the impact of top-level requirements on low-level practicalities such as fuel system design.
CitationGavel, H. and Andersson, J., "Using Optimization as a Tool in Fuel System Conceptual Design," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3054, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3054.
- Navair 06-5-504 “ Fuel and Fuel Systems ” 1967
- Raymer D. P “ Aircraft Design: A conceptual Approach ” 3rd AIAA 1999
- Gavel H. “ Fuel Transfer System in the Conceptual Design Phase ” SAE-paper 2002-01-2931 World Aviation Congress & Display 2002
- Ellström H. “ Presentation of a Fuel-Air Tank System Library made for Air-pressurized Fuel Systems in Aircrafts ” proceedings of Easy5 User Conference Seattle 2000
- Box M. J. “ A new method of constraint optimization and a comparison with other methods ” Computer Journal 8 42 52 1965
- Krus P. Jansson A. Palmberg J.-O. “ Optimization for Component Selection in Hydraulic Systems ” Fourth Bath International Fluid Power Workshop Research Studies Press Lt 1991
- Krus P. Palmberg J.-O. Löhr F. Backlund G. “ The Impact of Computational Performance on Optimization in Aircraft system Design ” proceedings of IMech ‘Aerotech 95’ Birmingham. UK 1995