This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on a New Aircraft Undercarriage to Prevent Tire Smoking on Landing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The moment at which a wheel of a landing aircraft touches the ground, the wheel meets great resistance to forward motion. As the undercarriage absorbs almost none of this longitudinal impact, the tire begins to smoke, while the oleo strut undergoes spin up and spring back. Most people are unaware that this phenomenon represents the technological limits of current suspensions.
For the wheel to absorb forward impact, it must be given longitudinal stroke. We have created a new type of undercarriage, containing a crank element and adequately gives the longitudinal stroke (1),(2).
We clarified the new undercarriage with basic dynamical analysis and computer simulations using an aircraft model with 1 degree of freedom. This simulation showed that when given specific freedom of circular motion, the wheel will accelerate in two stages after landing. Consequently, the sliding friction work on the tire is reduced by a maximum of about 47.4%.
CitationYoshioka, K., Sone, A., Masuda, A., and Kondo, S., "Research on a New Aircraft Undercarriage to Prevent Tire Smoking on Landing," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3048, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3048.
- Yoshioka K. Sone A. Aircraft Undercarriage Concept AEROSPACE ENGINEERING July 2002 27 29
- Yoshioka K. Sone A. A New Concept in Aircraft Undercarriages (Reduction of Longitudinal Impact Force) SAE 2001 TRANSACTIONS:JOURNAL OF AEROSPACE 513 523
- Mechanism Analysis Software “DADS” 9.61 CYBERNET SYSTEMS CO., LTD Bunkyo-ku Tokyo JAPAN
- Yoshioka K. Motobu H. Kanno A. Shock Isolation Properties in a Swinging Mechanism Suspension Used in Motorcycles (Front Collision Safety) SAE Paper 931846 1993
- Yoshioka K. Motobu H. Kanno A. Development of a New Suspension System Using a Knee Joint Mechanism SAE Paper 961695 1995
- Motobu H. Yoshioka K. Azuma T. Studies on the Characteristics of a New Suspension System SAE Paper 930225 1993
- Motobu H. Azuma T. Yoshioka K. A Study on a New Type of Isolator for Shock and Vibration Based on a Swinging Motion Mechanism-Part 1: Mechanism of Isolating Shock and Characteristics of Swinging Unit SAE Paper 921592 1992
- Azuma T. Motobu H. Yoshioka K. A Study on a New Type of Isolator for Shock and Vibration Based on a Swinging Motion Mechanism-Part 2: New Bumper System SAE Paper 921592 1992