This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Arc Fault Detection and Protection — Opportunities and Challenges
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a summary of a Honeywell collaborative IR&D project with University of Toronto on current arc fault detection and protection (AFDP) circuits and systems for the aerospace industry.
Arc fault detection and protection pose a significant challenge for airlines, aircraft manufacturers, the military, and regulatory agencies such as the FAA. Most of the AFDP research and technology development efforts to date have concentrated on the detection of parallel arc faults because of the ease of differentiating them from other operating conditions due to their high energy levels and potential for serious damage. In contrast, series arc fault currents are limited by the electrical load and are thus more difficult to detect.
The objectives of this paper are threefold: to provide additional new information on the characteristics of series arc faults; to provide a review and characterization of existing on-line methods of arc fault detection and protection; to summarize the critical challenges and opportunities for implementing on-line arc fault detection and protection for aerospace next generation electrical power systems including high voltage AC and variable frequency systems.
|Technical Paper||Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter Development Overview|
|Technical Paper||Arc Fault Detection Schemes for an Automotive 42 V Wire Harness|
|Technical Paper||Arc Fault Protection, Application Techniques for Aircraft Circuit Breakers|
- Chunlin Li - Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto
- Francis Dawson - Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto
- Hassan Kojori - Honeywell - Engines, Systems and Services
- Chris Meyers - Honeywell - Engines, Systems and Services
- Edwin Yue - Honeywell - Engines, Systems and Services
CitationLi, C., Dawson, F., Kojori, H., Meyers, C. et al., "Arc Fault Detection and Protection — Opportunities and Challenges," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3037, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3037.
- McCormic, Jim et al. Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters SAE Technical Papers, 2000-01-2121
- Waddoups Brent Furse Cynthia Dr. Mark Schmidt, Analysis of Reflectometry for Detection of Chafed Aircraft Wiring Insulation http://www.agingaircraft2001.com/papers/IndexPDFs/5A 6.pdf
- Field, Sean A. et al. Smart Wire Technology for Aircraft Applications http://www.agingaircraft2001.com/papers/IndexPDFs/6A2.pdf
- Furse Cynthia Down to the Wire IEEE Spectrum Feb. 2001 35 39 http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/feb01/wire.html
- Parker et al. Electric arc monitoring systems US Patent No. 6,362,629
- Zuercher et al. Arc Detection Using Current Variation US Patent No. 5,561,605
- Schmalz Apparatus Sensitive To Arc Amplitude For Envelope Detection of Low Current Arcs US Patent No. 6,300,766
- Zuercher et al. Apparatus for Envelope Detection of Low Current Arcs US Patent No. 5,818,237
- Rae ARC Fault Detector Responsive To Average Instantaneous Current and Step Increases in Current and Circuit Breaker Incorporating Same US Patent No. 6,388,849
- Neiger et al. Arc Fault Detector With Circuit Interrupter US Patent No. 6,433,978
- Neiger et al. Arc Fault Detector with Circuit Interrupter and Early Arc Fault Detection US Patent No. 6,407,893
- Neiger et al. Arc Fault Detector with Circuit Interrupter and Early Arc Fault Detection US Patent No. 6,128,169
- McCormick James M. Pete Theisen, Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter Development Overview SAE Technical Papers, 2002-01-3233
- Texas Instruments Arc Fault Circuit Protection http://www.ti.com/mc/docs/precprod/docs/feature.htm
- Hetzmannseder, E. Zuercher, J. 42VDC Arc Faults: Physics and Test Methods 42V Power-Net, 2 nd International Congress Ludwigsburg, Germany April 2001
- Momoh James A. Zhang Qi Button Robert Evaluation of Feature Extraction Technique for DC Arcing Fault at Aerospace Power Management and Distribution (PMAD) System SAE Technical Papers, 2002-01-3231
- Zlan Ltd. “Transient waveforms” http://www.zlan.com/waveforms.htm
- Gregory George D. Scott Gary W. The Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter: An Emerging Product IEEE Trans. Industry Applications Vol. 34 5 September/October 1998 928 933
- Raizer Yuri P. Gas Discharge Physics Springer Verlag 1991
- Juttner B. 2001 J. Phys. D: Appl Phys. 34 R103 23
- Li Chunlin Dawson Francis A System-on-a-chip Architecture for Power Signal Processing Paper No. 03GM0172, Accepted by IEEE PES 2003 General Meeting to be held 13–17 July 2003 in Toronto Canada
- NSTC Wire System Safety Interagency Working Group Review of Federal Programs for Wire System Safety (Final Report) November 2000 http://www.ostp.gov/html/wire_rpt.pdf