This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Waypoint-Constrained Free-Flight Collision Avoidance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Advances in Aviation Safety
The future solution for the increasing air traffic density appears to be the free flight for which each airplane will have the possibility to choose its own trajectory and to follow it with only minor ground air traffic controllers' guides. The present paper deals with global collision avoidance which aims at separating aircraft taking into consideration the global traffic in a given area, contrarily to most of the existing approaches which are concerned with local traffic alone. The paper proposes a modeling of the global collision avoidance problem in the free flight context, in the horizontal plane, as a constrained optimization problem. A simulation example is performed in the end which shows the suitability of the proposed approach.
CitationBousson, K., "Waypoint-Constrained Free-Flight Collision Avoidance," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2996, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2996.
- Alcabin M. Erzberger H. 1985 “Simulation of Time-Control Procedures for Terminal Area Flow Management” Proceedings of the American Control Conference Boston June 1985
- Bousson K. Paglione P. 1996 “An Optimal Aircraft Conflict Resolution System Based on Hybrid Models” ICAS Conference Sorrento, Italy 1996 2065 2070
- Bousson K. 2001 “Automatic Guidance of Aircraft for Collision Avoidance in Terminal Areas” Russian-American Journal of Actual Problems of Aviation and Aerospace Systems 6 2 12 2001 49 57
- Bousson K. 2001 “Efficient Global Optimization Based on Dynamic Canonical Descent” Journal of Systems Science 26 4 2001 61 78
- Campos, L. M. B. C. 2001 “Probability of Collision of Aircraft with Dissimilar Position Errors” Journal of Aircraft 38 4 2001 593 599
- Davis T.J. Erzberger H. Green S.M. Nedell W. 1991 “Design and Evaluation of an Air Traffic Control Final Approach Spacing Tool” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics 14 4 1991 848 854
- Durand N. Alliot J.-M. Chansou O. 1995 “Optimal resolution of En Route Conflicts” Air Traffic Control Quaterly 3 3 1995 139 161
- Erzberger H. Davis T.J. Green S. 1993 “Design of Center-TRACON Automation System” AGARD CP-538 October 1993 11.1 11.12
- Menon P.K. Sweriduk G.D. 1999 “Optimal Strategies for Free-Flight Air Traffic Conflict Resolution” Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics 22 2 March-April 1999 202 211
- Paielli R. A. Erzberger, H. 1999 “Conflict Probability Estimation Generalized to Non-level Flight” Air Traffic Control Quaterly 7 3 1999 195 222
- Tomlin C. Pappas George J. 1998 “Conflict Resolution for Air Traffic Management: a Case Study in Multi-Agent Hybrid Systems” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 43 6 1998 509 521
- Yang L. C. Kuchar J. K. 1997 “Prototype Conflict Alerting System for Free Flight” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics January 1997