This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Predictability of Aircraft Failures with Age
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Advances in Aviation Safety
An aircraft is a complex operating system subject to the aging and degeneration processes. It is also maintained and repaired to keep operational condition high. Declining condition increases the chance of failures. Since repair is typically variable and incomplete, the question of the reliability of aircraft as they age is significant.
In this paper the predictability of failures of aircraft as they age is considered. The methodology is to consider moderate mechanical failures which result in unscheduled landings. The records of a single aircraft model:B737 for a carrier whose fleet has large numbers of that model are analyzed. A Poisson regression model is fitted to the number of unscheduled landings over a 3 year period, with the rate depending on age and periodic maintenance. A clear age pattern emerges. Although the rate of decline depends on the model, and the rate of improvement through repair depends on the carrier, the aging is real since these factors are held constant.
|Technical Paper||Management of Noise Impact around Airports|
|Technical Paper||“Condensation – Why it Needs to be Addressed in Every Aircraft”|
CitationMacLean, L., Richman, V., and Richman, A., "The Predictability of Aircraft Failures with Age," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2979, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2979.
- Alfred, L. Ellis R. Shepard W. 1997 The Dynamics of Aircraft Aging Mimeo Decision Dynamics Inc.
- Alfred, L. Thombs V. 2002 FleetSight: A Simulation Tool for Cost, Availability and Remaining Service Life of Aging Military Systems Mimeo Decision Dynamics Inc.
- Ascher, H. Feingold H. 1984 Repairable Systems Reliability: Modeling, Inference, Misconceptions and their Causes New York Marcel Dekker
- Aven, T. Jensen U. 1998 Stochastic models in Reliability New York Springer Verlag
- Block, H. Borges, W. Savits, T. 1985 Age-dependent minimal repair J. Appl. Prob. 22 370 385
- Brown, M. Proschan, F 1983 Imperfect repair J. Appl. Prob 20 851 859
- Friend, C. 1992 Aircraft Maintenance Management Essex Longman Scientific and Technical
- McCullagh, P. Nelder J. 1989 Generalized Linear Models Second Chapman & Hall