This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Packaging of MEMS: An Aerospace Perspective
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
After a long “incubation” period, MEMS are finally strongly coming out on the marked. The integrated telemetry and the photo-voltaic power source are among the attractive features of the integrated MEMS applications. The tendency is more and more seen to small integrators, which use OEMs and build systems for market demanded applications. However, the products offered by the market at this time are mostly limited to static detection or inertial systems. The temperature range of the dominant applications quite significantly limits the measurement capabilities of the system. Aerospace systems are not necessary falling within the normal temperature range. The need of enhanced performance and safety of the gas turbine engines require pressure measurements at temperature that exceed 500 °C. Apart from the physics, the principle of measurement, fabrication technology, signal data processing, packaging represents a challenging task. Other packaging challenges for fluidic or optical applications will be presented and a range of possible solutions will be presented.
CitationNerguizian, V. and Stiharu, I., "Packaging of MEMS: An Aerospace Perspective," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2891, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2891.
- Maluf Nadim An Introduction of micro-electromechanical systems engineering Artech House 2000
- Hsu Tai-Ran MEMS & MICROSYSTEMS, Design and manufacture Mc Graw Hill 2002
- Persson Katrine Boustedt Katarina Fundamental Requirements on MEMS Packaging and Reliability 8 th International Symposium on Advanced Packaging Materials 3–6 March 2002 Atlanta, GA, USA
- Gilleo, K. MEMS packaging solutions, EP&P June 2000
- Short course on Micro-Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) Aerospace Applications
- Liew, L. A. Liu, Y. Luo, R. Cross, T. An, L. Bright, V. M. Dunn, M. L. Daily J. W. Raj, R. “Fabrication of SiCN MEMS By Photo polymerization of Pre-Ceramic Polymer,” Sensors and Actuators vol. A-95 2–3 120 134 2002
- Chen Liang-Yu Gary Hunter and Philip Neudeck, Packaging Technology for 500° SiC Microsystems 2 nd Annual NEPP Conference May 2001
- Chen Liang-Yu Hunter Gary W. Neudeck Philip G. Silicon Carbide Die Attach Scheme for 500 °C Operation MRS 2000 Spring Meeting Proceedings-Wide-Bandgap Electronic Devices (Symposium T) San Francisco, CA Apr. 10–14 2000
- Chen Liang-Yu Neudeck Philip G. Thin and Thick Film Materials Based Chip Level Packaging for High Temperature SiC Sensors and Devices Transaction of 5 th International High Temperature Electronics Conference (HiTEC) Albuquerque, NM, USA June 12–16 2000
- Lin Liwei MEMS Post-Packaging by Localized Heating and Bonding IEEE Trans. on Advanced Packaging Volume 23 608 616 Nov. 2000
- Rao Valluri MEMS Technology and Applications (with a focus in packaging, assembly and manufacturing) IEEE-CPMT Phoenix Chapter September 2002
- Packaging the Micro-machine, White Paper, Amkor Technology
- Paul V. Dressendorfer, Packaging Trends Using Integrated Circuits in Critical Applications Workshop Sandia National Laboratories
- Okwuobi Azu Stiharu Ion Bhat Rama Daudelin Serge The Use of Microelectromechanical Systems for Surge Detection in Gas Turbine Engines AVT–NATO spring meeting Brussels April 4–10 2003
- Douglass M. R. Kozuch, D. M. DMD Reliability Assessment for Large-Area Displays Society for Information Display International Symposium Digest of Technical Papers Vol. 26 50 May 1995
- Linderman Ryan J. Sett Subham Bright Victor M. “The Resonant Micro Fan For Fluidic Transport, Mixing And Particle Filtering,” Proceedings of 2001 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition November 11–16 2001 New York, NY