This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Optimal Cross-Sectional Design Method for Automotive Body Frames
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive body frame structures play crucial roles in the achievement of dynamic and crashworthiness performance, and their cross-sections must fulfill various required characteristics. However, cross-sectional shape design is complex and relies on designers' intuitions, since automotive body frames are fabricated from many sheet metal parts having complex interdependencies, a problematic situation for optimization via software. This paper proposes a cross-sectional shape generation method satisfying a range of required cross-sectional properties for early design stages. Shape generation problems are formulated as multiobjectsve optimization problems, solved using genetic algorithms and a variety of cross-sections can be obtained as Pareto optimal solution sets.
CitationIzui, K., Nishiwaki, S., and Yoshimura, M., "An Optimal Cross-Sectional Design Method for Automotive Body Frames," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2782, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2782.
- Nishigaki, H. Nishiwaki, S. Amago, T. Kikuchi, N. First Order Analysis for Automotive Body Structure Design Proceedings of DETC, ASME 2000 Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2000/DAC-14533 2000 Baltimore 1 10
- Goldberg, D. E. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning Addison-Wesley 1989
- Banichuk, N.V. 1983 Optimization of elastic bars in torsion International Journal of Solids and Structure 12 275 286
- Kim, Y.Y. Kim, T.S. 2002 Topology optimization of beam cross sections International Journal of Solids and Structures 37 477 493
- Karihaloo, B.L. Hemp, W.S. 1983 Minimum-weight thin-walled cylinders of given torsional and flexural rigidity ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 50 892 894
- Magnucki, K. 2002 Optimization of open cross section of the thin-walled beam with flat web and circular flange Thin-Walled Structures 40 297 310
- Vinot, P. Cogan, S. Piranda, J. Shape optimization of thin-walled beam-like structures Thin-Walled Structures 2001 39 611 630
- Deb K. 2002 A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II IEEE transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6 2 182 197