This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
System Identification of Quasi-static Foam Behavior and its Application in H-point Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hip joint location (H-point) is an important design specification used by car seat manufacturers. Since most of the modern car seats are full-foam seats, the H-point location is primarily dependent on the quasi-static behavior of foam which is a highly nonlinear and viscoelastic material. In this work, a constitutive model is developed for flexible polyurethane foam. The stiffness characteristics of foam are described by a polynomial in displacement and the viscoelastic behavior is described by a convolution of the response with a kernel which is assumed to be a sum of exponentials. A system identification procedure, based on linear least squares fitting and ARMA modeling, is developed to identify the parameters from data collected in quasi-static foam experiments. Once identified, these models of foam are incorporated into two dimensional multi-degree-of-freedom seat occupant models to determine the static equilibrium position of an occupant in a seat from which the H-point location is determined. A graphical user interface is developed to facilitate study of the influence of changes in system parameters and also to visualize the settling of the occupant in the seat.
CitationIppili, R., Davies, P., and Bajaj, A., "System Identification of Quasi-static Foam Behavior and its Application in H-point Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2207, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2207.
- Griffin M. J., 1990, Handbook of Human Vibration, Academic Press.
- Pope M. H., Pope D. G., Jorneus L., Broman H., Svensson M. and Andersson G., 1987, The Response of the Seated Human to Sinusoidal Vibration and Impact, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 109, pp. 279-284.
- Lee J., Paul P. and Temming J., 1993, Measuring Seat Comfort, Automotive Engineering, Vol. 101, July 1993, pp. 25-30.
- Wu X., Rakheja S. and Boileau P.-E., 1998, Study of Human-Seat Interface Pressure Distribution Under Vertical Vibration, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol. 21, pp. 433-449.
- Yu L. C. and Khameneh K. N., 1998, Automotive Seating Foam: Subjective Dynamic comfort Study, Polyurethanes Expo '98 Proceedings, pp.485-589, September 17-20, 1998, Dallas, TX.
- Isobe M., Hiraide T., Utsumi H., Ohkubo K. and Sakai S., 1998, An Approach to Evaluation of Riding and Seating Comfort, Polyurethanes Expo '98 Proceedings, pp. 507-515, September 17-20, 1998, Dallas, TX.
- Inagaki H., Taguchi T., Yasuda E. and Iizuka Y., 2000, Evaluation of Riding Comfort: From the Viewpoint of Interaction of Human Body and Seat for Static, Dynamic, Long Time Driving, SAE 2000-01-0643.
- Ebe K. and Griffin M. J., 2001, Factors Affecting Static Seat Cushion Comfort, Ergonomics, Vol. 44, pp. 901-921.
- Ebe K. and Griffin M. J., 2000, Qualitative Models of Seat Discomfort Including Static and Dynamic Factors, Ergonomics, Vol. 43, pp. 771-790.
- Lakes R. S. and Lowe A., 2000, Negative Poisson's Ratio Foam as Seat Cushion Material, Cellular Polymers, Vol. 19, pp. 157-167.
- Crocco G. L. and Roeck H. De., Balancing the Static and Dynamic Comfort Properties of Polyurethane Foam for Automotive Seating,, Polyurethanes Expo '98 Proceedings, pp.463-470, September 17-20, 1998, Dallas, TX.
- Van Heumen J. D. and Blair G. R., 1998, Polyurethane Seating Comfort: Analysis of Foam Formulation Contribution, Polyurethanes Expo '98 Proceedings, pp. 491-506, September 17-20, 1998, Dallas, TX.
- Gronen J., Schmidt M., Raffel B., Wagner J., Koshute M. A. and Haider K., 1997, New TDI-based isocyanates: Advances in Flexible Molded Foams for Automotive Seating, Polyurethanes World Congress 1997, pp. 394-401, September 29 - October 1, 1997, Amsterdam.
- Casati F. M., Herrington R. M., Broos R. and Miyazaki Y.. 1997, Tailoring the Performance of Molded Flexible Polyurethane Foams for Car Seats, Polyurethanes World Congress 1997, pp. 402-421, September 29 - October 1, 1997, Amsterdam.
- Fairley T. E. and Griffin M. J., 1989 The Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body: Vertical Vibration, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 81-94.
- Muksian R. and Nash C. D., 1974, A Model for the Response of Seated Humans to Sinusoidal Displacements of the Seat, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 7, pp. 209-215.
- Patil M. K. and Palanichamy M. S., 1988, A Mathematical Model of a Tractor-Occupant System with a New Seat Suspension for Minimization of Vibration Response, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 12, pp. 63-71.
- Wan Y. and Schimmels J. M., 1997, Optimal Seat Suspension Design Based on Minimum Simulated Subjective Response, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 119, pp. 409-416.
- Patten W. N. and Pang J., 1998, Validation of a Nonlinear Automotive Seat Cushion Vibration Model, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 30, pp. 55-68.
- Fairley T. E. and Griffin M. J., 1990, The Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body in the Fore-and-aft and Lateral Directions, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 139(2), pp. 299-306.
- Nishiyama S., 1993, Vertical and Lateral Vibration Analysis of Vehicle-Occupant Dynamic Interaction with Simulation System, Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Vol. 59(567), pp. 3239-3246.
- Kawai K. and Matsuoka Y., 2000, Construction of a Vibration Simulation Model for the Transportation of Wheelchair-Bound Passengers, SAE 2000-01-0645.
- Nishiyama S., 1993, Developement of Simulation System on Vehicle-Occupant Dynamic Interaction (1st Report, Theoretical Analysis and System Verification), Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Vol. 59(568), pp. 3613-3621.
- Nishiyama S., 1993, Developement of Simulation System on Vehicle-Occupant Dynamic Interaction (2nd Report, Influence of Sitting Posture on Human Comfort), Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Vol. 59(568), pp. 3622-3629.
- Nishiyama S., 1994, Developement of Simulation System on Vehicle-Occupant Dynamic Interaction (3rd Report, Influence of Parameters of Occupant-Seat System on Suman Comfort), Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Vol. 60(573),. pp. 1509-1516.
- Kim S. K., White S. W., Bajaj A. K. and Davies P., 2003, Simplified Models of the Vibration of Mannequins in Car Seats, Journal of Sound and Vibration (to appear).
- Cho Y. and Yoon Y.-S., 2000, Determination of Seat Sponge Properties with Estimated Biodynamic Model, SAE 2000-01-0640.
- Singh R., Davies P. and Bajaj A., 2002, Identification of Nonlinear and Viscoelastic Properties of Flexible Polyurethane Foam, Submitted to Nonlinear Dynamics.
- Deng R., Davies P. and Bajaj A., 2003, Flexible Polyurethane Foam Modeling and Identification of Viscoelastic Parameters for Automotive Seating Applications, Journal of Sound and Vibration (to appear).
- Ippili R., Davies P., Bajaj A. K., and Hagenmeyer L., 2002, Prediction of Static Settling Point in a Seat Occupant System, 5th Digital Human Modeling Conference, VDI-Berichte nr. 1675, pp. 377-404.
- White S. W., Kim S. K., Bajaj A. K., Davies P., Showers D. K. and Liedtke P. E., 2000, Experimental Techniques and Identification of Nonlinear and Viscoelastic Properties of Flexible Polyurethane Foam, Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 22, pp. 281-313.
- Banks H. T., Potter L. K. and Zhang Y., 1996, Stress-strain Laws for Carbon Black and Silicon Filled Elasatomers, Proceedings of the 36th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 3727-3732.
- Ljung L., 1999, System Identification: Theory for the User, Prentice Hall.
- The Math Works Inc., 05/2001, MATLAB, Version 184.108.40.2060.
- Greenwood Donald T., 1965, Principles of Dynamics, Prentice Hall.
- Waterloo Maple Inc., 01/1998, MapleV, Maple Worksheet Interface, Release 5, SUN SPARC SOLRAIS.
- Muravyov A. and Hutton S. G., 1997, Closed-form Solutions and the Eigenvalue Problem for Vibration of Discrete Viscoelastic Systems, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 64, pp. 684-691.
- Singh R., 2000, Dynamic Modeling of Polyurethane Foam and Development of System Identification Methodologies, Master's Thesis, Purdue University, School of Mechanical Engineering.
- Brenan K. E., Campbell S. L. and Petzold L. R., 1996, Numerical Solution of Initial-Value Problems in Differential-Algebraic Equations, SIAM Classics in Appl. Math..
- Amirouche Farid. M. L., 1992, Computational Methods in Multibody Dynamics, Prentice Hall.
- White S. W., 1998, Dynamic Modeling and Measurement of Occupied Car Seats and Seating Foam, Master's Thesis, Purdue University, School of Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge Revolution, 1996, Working Model 2D, Version 4.0.