This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Endurance and Aerodynamic Performance Certification of Aircraft De/Anti-icing Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three performance certification tests are required for the assessment of aircraft de/anti-icing fluids. The two first, measuring anti-icing endurance, consists of the Water Spray (WSET) and the High Humidity Endurance Tests (HHET). The third, for aerodynamic performance, consists of the Flat Plate Elimination Test (FPET). The three performance tests, used for both deicing and anti-icing fluids, are described in the annexes of AMS1424 and AMS1428. Since February, 2003 they are covered by aerospace standards AS5900 for aerodynamic, and AS5901 for anti-icing endurance performance. The WSET anti-icing endurance test measures the time that a fluid protects a plate, inclined at a 10° angle, subjected to freezing precipitation, from a specified amount of icing. This WSET time then defines the fluid type: it must exceed 3 minutes for a Type I, 30 minutes for a Type II and 80 minutes for a Type IV fluid. The aerodynamic FPET performance test involves measuring the Boundary Layer Displacement Thickness (BLDT) during fluid elimination on a flat plate in a wind tunnel at temperatures from 0 °C down to a possible −45 °C. Two take-off acceleration profiles can be simulated, one for large transport type aircraft, and the other for commuter-type aircraft. A fluid is considered acceptable at a temperature interval if its BLDT is below an acceptance criteria defined by BLDT measurements of a reference fluid tested simultaneously and the fluid elimination is below a given percentage depending on fluid type.
|Technical Paper||Smart Icing Systems for Aircraft Icing Safety|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Flow-off of Type II and Type IV Aircraft Ground Anti-icing Fluids|
|Technical Paper||Iced-Airfoil and Wing Aerodynamics|
CitationBeisswenger, A. and Laforte, J., "Endurance and Aerodynamic Performance Certification of Aircraft De/Anti-icing Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2155, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2155.
- SAE Aerospace Material Specification AMS1424D Aircraft De/Anti-icing Fluid, SAE Type I, August 2001
- SAE Aerospace Material Specifications AMS1428D Fluid Aircraft De/Anti-icing, Non Newtonian (pseudo-plastic) SAE Type II, Type III and Type IV, February 2002
- SAE Aerospace Standard AS5900 Standard Test Method for Aerodynamic Acceptance of SAE AMS1424 and SAE AMS1428 Aircraft De/Anti-icing Fluids, February 2003
- SAE Aerospace Standard AS5901 Water Spray and High Humidity Endurance Test Methods for SAE AMS1424 and ASE AMS1428 Aircraft De/Anti-icing Fluids, February 2003
- Hill E.G. Aerodynamic Acceptance Test for Aircraft Ground Deicing/Anti-icing Fluids, Boeing Document D6-55573, October 1990