This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Nitrogen Compounds in Diesel Particulate Matter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to control diesel engine emission, several after-treatment technologies have been studied and developed to reduce particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxides. Such reduction is making it hard to measure the mass of such pollutants. In the present study, a new method to analyze nitrogen compounds in vehicle particulate has been described. The method is based on the technique for separate analysis of SOF, soot and sulfates in particulate, which has been previously reported by the authors. The new method utilizes oxidation process in a furnace at high temperature and a chemiluminescence detector (CLD) to measure generated NO and NO2. In this paper, principle and concept of the method has been described. In addition, feasibility of the method for analyzing nitrogen compounds in vehicle PM has been discussed, with practical experiments using modeled samples and actual particulate.
CitationFukushima, H., Asano, I., Hill, L., Adachi, M. et al., "Measurement of Nitrogen Compounds in Diesel Particulate Matter," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2019, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2019.
- Allanson, R. et al. The Use of the Continuously Regenerating Trap and SCRT Systems to Meet Future Emission Legislation 21 Wiener Motorensymposium 2000
- Khair, M. et al. Integration of Exhaust Gas Recirculation, Selective Catalytic Reduction, Diesel Particulate and Fuel-Borne Catalyst for NO x /PM Reduction SAE Paper 2000-01-1933
- Chandler, G, R. et al. An Integrated SCR and continuously Regenerating Trap System to Meet Future NO x and PM Legislation SAE paper 2000-01-0188
- Miller, W, R. et al. The Development of Urea-SCR Technology for US Heavy Duty Trucks SAE paper 2000-01-0190
- Hirota, S. et al. Simultaneous PM and NO x Reduction System in Diesel Exhaust Gas JSAE 20015186 2001
- Fukushima, H. et al. An Alternative Technique for Low Particulate Measurement SAE Paper 2001-01-0218
- Takagi, N. et al. Application of NO x storage Reduction Catalyst to Diesel Engines JSAE 20014532 2001
- Mizohata, A. Characterization of the Atomospheric Particulate Matter Observed at the Sites near the Heavy Traffic Road in Tokyo Jounal of Japan Society for Atomospheric Environment 35-2 2000 77 101
- Koyama, T. Current State and Future Prospects on Suspended Particulate Matter in Southern Kantou Air Basin Jounal of Environmental Laboratories Association 10-4 1995 15 20
- Pun, B. et al. Conceptual Model of Particulate Matter Pollution in the California San Joaquin Valley 1998