This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Flow Characteristics for Intake Valve Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Steady flow bench test is a practical, powerful and widely used one for most engine manufacturers to give a design concept of a new engine, especially for the intake system. In order to use the steady data as a performance index, it is necessary to build up massive database, which can correlate the port characteristics with engine data. However, it is hard to investigate all port and valve shapes with experimental tools. The steady flow scheme is relatively simple and its results are bulk ones such as flow rates and momentum of flow. Therefore, computational simulation can easily be applied for evaluation of the intake port and valve designs. In this study, three-dimensional numerical analysis of the steady flow characteristics was performed on intake valve design for comparison with experimental data, which can confirm the feasibility of applying analytic method. For this purpose, the effect of valve curvature on flow rate was estimated using a CFD code. The analytical results showed that they were consistent with the experimental data and the simulation was an appropriate tool for evaluation of the intake system.
|Technical Paper||Study of Automotive Diesel Injection-System Dynamics Under Control|
|Technical Paper||Radial Surface Bearing Optimization for Internal Combustion Engines|
|Technical Paper||Robust Cooling with Coupled 1D, 3D Thermal Simulation Models|
CitationKim, D., Yoo, Y., Cho, Y., and Ohm, I., "Numerical Analysis of Flow Characteristics for Intake Valve Design," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2015, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2015.
- Taylor, C. F. “The Internal Combustion Engines in Theory and Practice,” MIT Press 1 1979
- Gosman, A. D. “Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics in Internal Combustion Engines,” Horlock, J. H. Winterbone, D. Oxford University Press 2 1986
- BAE C. S. Jung K. S. “Steady Flow Characteristic of Four-Valve Cylinder Heads,” KSAE Fall Conference, 1225-6832 4 5 197 205 1996
- Kim Mi-Ro Cho Nam-Hyo “Analysis of port flow rig result by CFD of in-cylinder flow (in Korean),” Proc. KSAE Fall Conference 111 117 Hyo-Sung Catholic University Nov. 26-27 1999
- Heyhood John B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” 220 221 Mcgraw-Hill 1988
- G. Cussion LTD. “Flow bench: SuperFlow 600 Manual,” 1993
- CFD research Corporation “CFD-ACE Manual 1998