This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of Spontaneous Ignition and Combustion in Unsteady High-Speed Gaseous Fuel Jets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to obtain fundamental data to employ direct injection in gas-fueled engines, an experimental study was carried out using a constant volume vessel. Heat release rates and shadowgraph photos were acquired for natural-gas and hydrogen jets simulating the changes in engine-combustion-control factors.
The results show that although a higher temperature is needed for ignition, the temperature dependencies of ignition delay and heat release rate in natural-gas jets are similar to those of diesel sprays. The ignition delay and heat release rate are sensitive to injection and ambient conditions.
Hydrogen jets have shorter ignition delays compared with natural gas jets. At sufficiently high ambient temperatures, the heat release pattern shows an entire diffusion combustion. Under such conditions, the ignition delay is not greatly influenced by injection conditions and the heat release rate can be controlled by the injection rate.
- Takuji ISHIYAMA - Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University
- Masahiro SHIOJI - Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University
- Tadayoshi IHARA - Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University
- Takanori INOUE - Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University
- Noriyuki TAKADA - Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University
CitationISHIYAMA, T., SHIOJI, M., IHARA, T., INOUE, T. et al., "Characteristics of Spontaneous Ignition and Combustion in Unsteady High-Speed Gaseous Fuel Jets," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1922, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1922.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
- Goto, Y. Sato, Y. Narusawa, K. Combustion and Emission Characteristics in a Direct Injection Natural Gas Engine Using Multiple Stage Injection Proc. COMODIA 98 1998 543 548
- Martin, L.W. Benard, G.R. Design and Development of a Direct Injected Glow Plug Ignition Asisted Natural Gas Engine ICE 22 1994 31 35
- Ouellette, P. Welch, A. Progresses in High Pressure Direct Injection (HPDI) of Natural Gas In Automotive Diesel Engines Proc. 8th World NGV2002 Oct. 8-10 2002 Washington,D.C. 2002
- Ishiyama, T. Shioji, M. Tanaka, H Nakai, S. Implementation of Direct Fuel-Injection for Higher Efficiency in Natural Gas Engines Proc. 8th World NGV2002 Oct. 8-10 2002 Washington,D.C. 2002
- Fraser, R. Siebers, D.L. Edwards, C.F. Autoignition of Methane and Natural Gas in a Simulated Diesel Environment Trans. SAE 100 Paper No. 910227 1991 33 45
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. Westbrook, C.K. Caton, J.A. Di Julio, S.S. Natural Gas Autoignition Under Diesel Conditions: Experiments and Chemical Kinetic Modeling SAE Paper No. 942034 1994
- Shioji, M. Yamamoto, H. Nishi, T. Ikegami, M. Combustion Characteristics of an Engine Using Gaseous Fuels and Blended Gaseous Fuels Proc. 12th Symp. Internal Combustion Engine 1995 265 270
- Shioji, M. Inoue, N. Performance and NOx Formation in a Hydrogen Premixed-Charge Engine Proc. of the 12th World Hydrogen Energy Conference 2 1998 1469 1478
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. Hydrogen Combustion Under Diesel Engine Conditions Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 23 5 1998 363 371
- Mikami, S. Nakatani, K. Tsujimura, T. Tokunaga, Y. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. Study on Process of Mixture Formation and Combustion in Unsteady Gas Jet Proc. 17th Symp. Internal Combustion Engine 2002 267 272
- Ishiyama, T. Inoue, T. Shioji, M. Ihara, T. Characteristics of Spontaneous Ignition and Combustion in Unsteady Hydrogen Jets Proc. JSME 2002 5-13 5-14
- Shioji, M. Nakamura, K. Miyajima, K. Ikegami, M. Study of High-Pressure Unsteady Gas-Fuel Jets Proc. 13th Symp. Internal Combustion Engine 1996 19 24
- Shioji, M. Nakamura, K. Ishiyama, T. Ikegami, M. Study of Injection and Jet-Development of High-Pressure Gaseous Fuels Proc. 14th Symp. Internal Combustion Engine 1997 169 174
- Ishiyama, T. Katsuura, A. Shioji, M. Ihara, T. Futagi, T. Temperature Dependencies of Ignition Delays and the Controlling Factors in Fuel Sprays Proc. JSME 2002 5-23 5-24
- Edwards, C.F. Siebers, D.L. Hoskin. D.H. A Study of the Autoignition Process of Diesel Spray via High Speed Visualization SAE Paper No. 920108 1992