This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Injection in IC - SI Engines to Control Detonation and to Reduce Pollutant Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the effects of water injection in the intake pipe of a single-cylinder standard CFR engine are investigated from an experimental viewpoint. Research was carried out at AGIP Petroli and ISAB ERG Refineries of Priolo Gargallo (SR).
Tests were performed according to ASTM Research and Motor Method. Water was supplied by a continuous and pulsed injection system. The engine was fed with low Octane Number (O.N.) base gasoline (cheap products, intermediate of refinery processes). The water to fuel mass flow rate ratio was varied in the range 0 to 2.
Measurements of O.N. have shown that water injection virtually increases the water/fuel mixture O.N. and that it is possible to obtain a correct run feeding the engine with a low octane number fuel. The pollutant emissions measurements confirm the effectiveness of water injection in reducing the engine environmental impact.
In conclusion results have shown that water injection really represents a way to avoid detonation and to control NOx formation in SI engines.
CitationBrusca, S. and Lanzafame, R., "Water Injection in IC - SI Engines to Control Detonation and to Reduce Pollutant Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1912, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1912.
- Walsh, M.P. “Global trends in diesel emissions control - A 1999 update” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0107 1999
- Rave, M.R. “Water Injection for Aircraft Engines,” Trans.SAE 54 Nov. 1946
- Obert, R. “Detonation and Internal Coolants,” Quart. Trans. SAE Jan. 1948 52 59
- Johnson, R.T. “A Comparison of Gasoline, Methanol and Methanol/Water Blend as Spark Ignition Engine Fuels,” International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Wolfsburg Fed. Rep. of Germany 1977
- Nicholls, J.E. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen oxides - Theory and Experiment,” Trans. SAE, paper 690018 1969
- Bignardi, L. et. al. “Products of Combustion of Water in Fuel Emulsion,” 14 th International Congress on Combustion Engine Paper n. D-98 Helsinki 1981
- Satpov, E. B. Luksho, B.A. “A Study on the Effect of Water in Fuel on the Performance of SI Engine,” Engine Manufacturing in Russian 1982
- Lanzafame, R. Mancò, S. 28 Settembre 1 Ottobre 1993
- Bassi, F. Lanzafame, R. Risitano, A. “Acetylene and water as fuels for spark ignition engine,” 26 th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference IECEC '91 Boston Massachusetts August 4-9 1991
- Lanzafame R. “Water Injection Effects in a Single-Cylinder CFR Engine” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0568 1999
- Heywood, J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw - Hill Book Company 0-07-100499-8
- Taylor, C.F. “ The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice ,” 1 2
- Odake, M. Koike, N. Tsukamoto, Y. Naurusawa, K. Yoshida K. “Effects of EGR with a Supplemental Manifold Water Injection to Control Exhaust Emissions from Heavy - Duty Diesel powered Vehicles” SAE Paper No. 910739 1991
- Miayamoto, N. Ogawa, H. Wang, J. Ohashi, H. “Significant NOx Reductions with Direct Water Injection into Sub - Chamber of an IDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 950609 1995
- Mello, J. P. Mellor, A. M. “NO x Emissions from Direct Injection Diesel Engines with Water/Steam Dilution” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0836 1999
- Kohketsu, S. Mori, K. Sakai, K. “Reduction of exhaust emission with new water injection system in a Diesel engine” SAE Paper No. 960033 1996