This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Chamber Deposits and PAH Formation in SI Engines Fueled by Producer Gas from Biomass Gasification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Investigations were made concerning the formation of combustion chamber deposits (CCD) in SI gas engines fueled by producer gas. The main objective was to determine and characterise CCD and PAH formation caused by the presence of the light tar compounds phenol and guaiacol in producer gas from an updraft gasifier. The work was based on previous work regarding the assumption that phenol is a soot precursor and therefore could lead to CCD formation.
Laboratory experiments were conducted, where pyrolysis products of the single tar components were collected on small aluminium plates. The experiments showed that guaiacol formed significant amount of deposits. The structure observed was a lacquer type of deposit. It was determined that there was no distinct deposit formation due to phenol.
Experiments were conducted with a 0.48 litre one-cylinder high compression ratio SI engine fueled by synthetic producer gas. Known quantities of tar compounds were added to the fuel gas and the CCD were examined. The experiments showed significant formation of deposits when guaiacol was added to the fuel, whereas for phenol only minor CCD formation was observed.
Particulate matter in the exhaust gas was sampled on filters and a sorbent was used for collection of vapour phase aromatic compounds. The filters and sorbent were analysed for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) formed during combustion. The measurements showed that there was no significant increase in particulate PAH emissions due to the tar compounds in the fuel gas.
- Helge Egsgaard - Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark
- Jesper Ahrenfeldt - Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Technical University of Denmark
- Ulrik Henriksen - Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Technical University of Denmark
- Jesper Schramm - Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Technical University of Denmark
- Torben K. Jensen - Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Technical University of Denmark
CitationAhrenfeldt, J., Henriksen, U., Schramm, J., Jensen, T. et al., "Combustion Chamber Deposits and PAH Formation in SI Engines Fueled by Producer Gas from Biomass Gasification," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1770, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1770.
- Pedersen, K. Larsen, E. “Karakterisering af tjære i gas fra termisk forgasning af biomasse” 1999
- Egsgaard, H. Larsen, E. “Thermal transformation of light tar - Specific routs to aromatic aldehydes and PAH” Proceedings 1st World Conference on Biomass for Energy and Industry Sevilla, Spain 5-9 June 2000
- Delay, D. T. et al. “Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposits Formation” SAE Paper No. 941889 1994
- Lu, M. Mulholland, J. A. “Aromatic hydrocarbon growth from indene” Chemosphere 42 625 633 2001
- Price, R. J. Spink, C. D. Morley, C. “Prediction of Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth in SI Engines” SAE Paper No. 972835 1997
- Kjällstrand, J. Peterson, G. “Phenolic antioxidants in wood smoke” The Science of Total Environment 277 69 75 2001
- van Walwijk, M. Hagenau, J. Schramm, J. “Biodegradable Lubricants” IEA Advanced Motor Fuels Agreement - Annex XVI Dep. of Energy Engineering, DTU December 1999