This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion on Radiation Noise and Mount Vibration from a V8 Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Optimizing base engine design in view of performance, emission requirement, durability, and lighter weight has been a challenging work in automotive industry for a last couple of decades. While those functional requirements are designed and developed to be met, NVH requirement has been one of difficult objectives to be optimized in the design and development process, not only because of technical difficulties, but of the lesser degree of settlement of development process in a vehicle program.
The combustion characteristic of an engine plays an important role in the performance, emission, and NVH development. In this paper, the engine radiation sound and mounting vibration have been measured simultaneously with the combustion pressure from each cylinder of a V8 engine while varying the engine speed under wide open throttle condition and spark timing.
The results from the sensitivity study was part of engine development process and used for setting a reasonable condition to optimize the NVH requirement and other engine functional goals. In addition, it is recommended that the sensitivity analysis on combustion system design or tunings should be a standard process to optimize early development of engine NVH design.
CitationSuh, I., "Combustion on Radiation Noise and Mount Vibration from a V8 Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1730, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1730.
- Suh I. An Investigation of Sound Quality of I.C. Engines Ph.D. thesis Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1998
- Crocker M. D. Engine Noise: Practicalities and Predictions SAE Paper 870977 1987
- Sung S. Nefske D. Engine Vibration and Noise Reduction Using a Crank-Block System Model SAE Paper 891129 1989
- Patro T. N. Combustion Induced Powertrain NVH - A Time -Frequency Analysis SAE 971874 1997
- Beidl C. V. Rust A. Rasser M. Key Steps and Methods in the design and Development of Low Noise Engines SAE Paper 1999-01-1745 1999
- Hoffman D. Dowling D. Modeling Fully-Coupled Rigid Engine Dynamics and Vibrations SAE Paper 1999-01-1749 1999
- Stout J. Concept Level Powertrain Radiated Noise Analysis SAE Paper 1999-01-1746 1999
- Priede T. The Effect of Normal Combustion and Knock on Gasoline Engine Noise SAE Paper 891126 1989
- Lee R. et. al. The New DaimlerChrysler Corporation 5.7L HEMI V8 Engine SAE Paper 2002-01-2815 2002
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engine McGraw-Hill 1988
- Suh I. et. al. The Effects of Intake-Flow Configuration on the Heat-Release and Heat-Transfer Characteristics of a Single Cylinder Four-Valve S.I. Engine SAE Paper 910296 1991