This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of a Beam-Type Exhaust System Finite-Element Model for Vibration Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A traditional beam-type finite-element model of the automobile exhaust system is shown to only be accurate in predicting the low-frequency rigid-body motion of the exhaust system on the support hangers. The beam-element model is then modified to account for the cross-sectional deformation of the exhaust pipes and is shown to accurately predict the bending vibration up to 300 Hz. The theoretical modification of the beam element model to account for the cross-sectional deformation is described in this paper. Experimental modal analysis tests of an exhaust system installed on a vehicle are conducted to obtain the measured vibration response for experimentally evaluating the accuracy of the model.
|Technical Paper||The Optimum Setting Position of the Silencer|
|Technical Paper||Thermomechanical Evaluation of Close Coupled Converter System|
|Technical Paper||A New Generation of Flexible Coupling Elements with Integrated Metal Substrates|
CitationNefske, D., Sung, S., and Feldmaier, D., "Correlation of a Beam-Type Exhaust System Finite-Element Model for Vibration Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1597, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1597.
- Steel J. A. Fraser G. Sendall P. “A Study of Exhaust Noise in A Motor Vehicle Using Statistical Energy Analysis,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Part D-Journal of Automobile Engineering 214 D1 75 83 2000
- Goktan A. G. Yetkin A. “Road Load Data Estimation on Multiaxial Test Rigs for Exhaust System Vibration,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0805 , SAE 2002 World Congress 2002
- Wolff K. Schneider M. Schernus C. H. “Computer-Aided Development of Exhaust Systems,” SAE- 984103 , European Conference on Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1998
- Sung S. H. Nefske D. J. “Assessment of a Vehicle Concept Finite-Element Model for Predicting Structural Vibration,” Paper 2001-01-1402, SAE N&V Conference Proceedings April 2001
- Deweer J. Van Langenhove T. Grinker S. “Identification of the Best Modal Parameters and Strategies for FE Model Updating,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1439 , SAE N&V Conference Proceedings April 2001
- Fang X. Ciray M. Chen Y. “Dynamic Simulation & Correlation for Automotive Exhaust Systems” SAE Paper 2001-01-1437
- Von Karman, T. “Über die Formanderung Dunnandiger Rohre, Insbesondere Federnder Ausgleichrohre,” Collected Works of Theodore Von Karman I 1902 1913 Butterworths Scientific Publications London 1956
- Den Hartog, J. P. Advanced Strength of Materials Dover Publications New York 1952 234 245
- “MSC/NASTRAN Quick Reference Guide: Version 70,” The MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation Los Angeles California June 1997
- Ewins D. J. Modal Testing: Theory and Practice Research Studies Press Ltd. England 1986