This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Sound Package Design Using Statistical Energy Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the early stages of a vehicle program, sound package design is significantly complicated by numerous competing requirements including cost, weight, acoustical targets and packaging space. The problem is further convoluted due to a limited definition of the vehicle at this time. In this article, a Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) model of the vehicle is created based on a gross description of the vehicle architecture. A large material database of commonly used sound package configurations is then linked to the SEA model. Genetic Algorithms (GA) are finally applied to optimize the sound package design to satisfy cost, weight, acoustical targets and packaging requirements in the vehicle design.
CitationPan, J., Semeniuk, B., Ahlquist, J., and Caprioli, D., "Optimal Sound Package Design Using Statistical Energy Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1544, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1544.
- Lyon R.H. and DeJong R.G., Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2nd edition, 1995.
- Pan J., Moeller M.J. and Thomas R.S., Verifying Vehicle SEA Model Predictions for Airborne Noise Transmission Using Designed Experiments, Proceedings of Internoise 96, p3059-3062, August, 1996.
- Moeller M.J. and Powell R.E., Review of Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) Applied to the Automotive Industry 1985 to 1997, Proceedings of NOISE-CON 98, Paper 565, April 1998.
- Holland J.H., Adaptation in Natural and artificial Systems, The MIT Press, Cambridge, 1975.
- Goldberg D.E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- Lai H., Numerical Optimization Based on Genetic Algorithm for Multi-layer Acoustic Liner Design, Proceedings of Noise-Con 2001, October 2001.
- Ratle A. and Berry A., Use of Genetic Algorothms for the Vibroacoustic Optimization of a Plate Carrying Point-masses, JASA, 104 (6), December 1998.
- Gerstoft P., Inversion of Acoustic Data Using a Combination of Genetic Algorithms and the Gauss-Newton Approach, JASA, 97 (4), April 1995.
- Binder J.D., Genetic Searches Spawn Aerospace Solutions, Systems&Software, Aerospace America, February 2001.
- Semeniuk B., Optimization, in Particular as Applied to the Acoustic Performance of Automotive Trim Components, Proceedings of 2001 Rieter Automotive Conference, June 2001.
- Semeniuk B., The Simulation of the Acoustic Absorption and Transmission Characteristics of Automotive Material Configurations: the New SISAB Software, Proceedings of the 1999 Rieter Automotive Conference, June 1999.
- DeJong R., Optimization of Noise Control Design Using SEA, Proceedings of the 2nd International AutoSEA Users Conference, April 2002.
- Pan J., Complementariness of Sound Transmission Loss and Absorption In Vehicle Noise Control Using SEA, Proceedings of 2001 Rieter Automotive Conference, June 2001.