This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Up-Front Body Structural Designs for Squeak and Rattle Prevention
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Squeak and rattle is one of the major concerns in vehicle design for customer satisfaction. Traditionally squeak and rattle problems are found and fixed at a very late design stage due to lack of up-front CAE prevention and prediction tools. A research work at Ford reveals a correlation between the squeak and rattle performance and diagonal distortions at body closure openings and fastener accelerations in an instrument panel. These findings make it possible to assess squeak and rattle performance implications between different body designs using body-in-prime (B-I-P) and vehicle low frequency noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) CAE models at a very early design stage. This paper is concerned with applications of this squeak and rattle assessment method for up-front body designs prior to a prototype stage.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Vehicle Noise on Automatic Speech Recognition Systems|
|Technical Paper||MCU Optimization in Body Mount Applications|
|Technical Paper||Attenuation of Vehicle Noise using Different Trunk Insulation Systems|
CitationKuo, E., "Up-Front Body Structural Designs for Squeak and Rattle Prevention," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1523, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1523.
- Johnson P. O. “Automobile Body Load,” SAE - Transaction 64 1956
- Peterson W. “Application of Finite Element Method to Predict Static Response of Automotive Body Structures,” SAE Paper 710263 1971
- Nolan S. A. Sammut J. P. “Automotive Squeak and Rattle Prevention,” SAE Paper 921065 1992
- Kuo E. Y. “Up-Front Squeak and Rattle Prevention Using CAE Models,” 4 th ISSAT (Int. Society of Science & Applied Technologies) Int. Conference on Reliability & Quality in Design 8 12 8 14 98
- Kuo E. Y. Mehta P. R. Geck P. E. “High Mileage Squeak and Rattle Robustness Assessment for Super Duty Cab Weight Reduction Using High Strength Steel and Adhesive Bonding,” 2002 SAE Int. Truck & Bus Meeting & Exhibition November 18-20 2002