This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Axial Bearing Profile on Engine Bearing Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As engine bearings are subjected to higher loading, the oil film thickness in the loading carrying region becomes thinner and thinner. Under the regime of elastohydrodynamic lubrication (EHL), the differences in the elastic deflection of the bearing/journal along axial direction are shown to have significant influence on the bearing performance. The work reported in this paper made use of SABRE-EHL, a predictive tool developed for the study of automotive engine bearings.
The influence of axial profile was firstly investigated by the examination of the operating conditions of both the big-end and main bearings of an modern petrol engine. The investigation was then extended to include a sensitivity study, where different types of axial profile were investigated. The impact of these axial profiles on engine bearing performance was then assessed.
CitationXu, H., Mian, O., and Parker, D., "The Impact of Axial Bearing Profile on Engine Bearing Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1387, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1387.
- Xu, H. ‘Recent Advances in engine bearing design analysis’ Proc. IMechE. Part J. 213 1999 239
- Xu, H. Parker, D. ‘Effects of bearing bore profiles on the lubrication of engine connecting rod bearings’ Paper No. 2000-ICE-265 34-1 2000 Spring Technical Conference ASME 2000
- Xu, H. Mian, O. Parker, D. ‘Performance of a gear pump bearing taking into account elastic deflection of both housing and shaft’ Proceedings of 2 nd World Tribology Congress 2001 Viena
- Mian, O. Merritt, D. Wang, D. ‘The effect of crankshaft flexibility on the EHL of connecting rod bearings’ SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0295 2002
- Oh, K. Goenka, P. ‘The elastohydrodynamic solution of journal bearings under dynamic loading’ ASME, J. Tribology 107 1989 597
- Xu, H. ‘Elastohydrodynamic lubrication in plain bearings’ Proceedings of 23 rd Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology 1996 Leeds 641
- Mian O. Merritt, D. Wang, D. ‘The effect of crankshaft flexibility on the EHL of connecting rod bearings’ SAE technical paper series 2002-01-0295 2002
- Ushijima, K. Aoyama, S. Kitahara, K. Okamoto, Y. Jones, G. Xu, H. ‘A study on engine bearing wear and fatigue using EHL analysis and experimental analysis’ SAE technical paper series 1999-01-1514 1999
- Xu, H. Jones, G. Ushijiama, K. Aoyama, S. Okamoto, Y. Kitahara, K. ‘Simulation of bearing wear and its influence upon bearing performance based on elastohydrodynamic analysis’ SAE technical paper series 1999-01-1522 1999