This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Performance and Emissions near the Dilute Limit with Hydrogen Enrichment using an On-Board Reforming Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes engine research - which supports our program to develop a gasoline engine management system (EMS) with an on-board reformer to provide near-zero tailpipe emissions. With this approach, the reformer converts gasoline (or another hydrocarbon-containing fuel) into reformate, containing hydrogen and CO. Reformate has very wide combustion limits to enable SI engine operation under very dilute conditions (either ultra-lean or with heavy EGR concentrations). In previous publications, we have presented engine dynamometer results showing very low emissions with bottled reformate. This paper shows the sensitivity of engine emissions and performance to operating near the dilute limit with H2 enrichment using both bottled reformate and an actual reformer prototype. It discusses the additional advantages of the system for supplemental heating to the passenger compartment and the vision of substantially increasing powertrain efficiency - by using a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) APU as the source of reformate.
CitationQuader, A., Kirwan, J., and Grieve, M., "Engine Performance and Emissions near the Dilute Limit with Hydrogen Enrichment using an On-Board Reforming Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1356, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1356.
- Grieve, M. J. “Hydrogen Leveraging for Near Zero-Emission Vehicles with Conventional or Mild Hybrid Powertrains and Gasoline Fuel,” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, Michigan October 1998
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve M. J. “Advanced Engine Management Using On-Board Gasoline Partial Oxidation Reforming for Meeting Super-ULEV (SULEV) Emissions Standards,” SAE Paper 1999-01-2927 August 1999
- Grieve M. J. Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. “Integration of a Small On-board Reformer to a Conventional Gasoline Internal Combustion Engine System to Enable a Practical and Robust Nearly-zero Emission Vehicle,” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Stuttgart, Germany October 1999
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve M. J. “An On-Board Gasoline Reforming System for Meeting SULEV Emissions Requirements in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, Michigan June 2000
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Development of a Fast Start-up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Proceedings of the 10 th Aachen Colloquium on Automobile and Engine Technology (Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeung- und Motorentechnik) 8-10 October 2001
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve M. J. “Fast Start-up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1011 , SAE 2002 World Congress and Exposition March 2002
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. Rahmoeller, K. M. Wadumesthrige, K. Fisher, G. B. “On-Board Reformer Development for Low Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Ann Arbor, Michigan September 2002
- Karim G. A “Hydrogen as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel.” Chemical Industry 56 256 263 June 2002
- Jamal, Y. Wyszynski, M. L. “On-Board Generation of Hydrogen-Rich Gaseous Fuels - A Review,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 19 7 557 572 Elsevier Science 1994
- Tang X. Kabat D. M. Natkin R. J. Stockhausen W. F. Heffel J. “Ford P2000 Hydrogen Engine Dynamometer Development.” SAE paper 2002-01-0242 March 2002
- Houseman, J. Cerini, D. J. “On-Board Hydrogen Generator for a Partial Hydrogen Injection Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE paper 740600 1974
- Shudo, T. Nabetani, S. “Analysis of Degree of Constant Volume and Cooling Loss in a Hydrogen Fuelled SI Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-3561 September 2001