This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Zero Emission Sport Utility Vehicle for FutureTruck 2002
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team (HEVT) of Virginia Tech has designed a fuel cell hybrid electric vehicle to compete in the 2002 FutureTruck Challenge. This year the competition is focused on reducing tailpipe emissions and increasing vehicle efficiency without compromising vehicle performance. The team has converted a Ford Explorer into an environmentally friendly truck. Our truck has an AC induction drive motor, regenerative braking to capture kinetic energy, compressed hydrogen fuel storage system, and a lead acid battery pack. The Virginia Tech FutureTruck emits only water from the vehicle. The fuel cell stacks have been sized to make the 35.8 mpg (combined adjusted gasoline equivalent) vehicle charge sustaining.
CitationGurski, S., Lohse-Busch, H., Henshaw, G., and Nelson, D., "Design of a Zero Emission Sport Utility Vehicle for FutureTruck 2002," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1264, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1264.
- Atwood P. Gurski S. Nelson D. J. Wipke K. B. 2001 “Degree of Hybridization Modeling of a Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Sport Utility Vehicle,” Proceedings of the 2001 SAE Int'l Congress Detroit, MI March 5-8 2000 SAE Paper 2001-01-0236 Fuel Cell Power for Transportation 2001, SP-1589 23 30
- Devlin P. Blair L. 2002 “Freedom Car and Fuel Cells; Are They the Future?” SAE Toptec Session Milford MI April 9 2002
- Gurski S. Evans D. Knox D. Conover M. Harris A. Lohse-Busch H. Kraft S. Nelson Douglas J. 2002 “Design and Development of the 2001 Virginia Tech FutureTruck: A Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” Proceedings of the 2001 FutureTruck Challenge June 4 13 2001 Milford, MI SAE SP-1701
- Oei D. Adams J.A. Kinnelly A.A. Purnell G.H. Sims R.I. Sulek M.S. Wernette D.A. Ford Motor Company James B. Lomax F. Baum G. Thomas S. Kuhn I. Directed Technologies 2000 “Direct Hydrogen Fueled Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System For Transportation Applications,”
- Kraft S. Kheir M. 2001 “Hydrogen Safety for ZE burban and The Ware Lab,” Report to FutureTruck 2001 Organizers
- Patton D. Latore J. Ogburn M. Gurski S. Bryan P. Nelson D.J. 2001 “Design and Development of the 2000 Virginia Tech Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric FutureTruck,” Proceedings of the 2001 SAE Int'l Congress Detroit, MI March 5-8 2000 SAE SP-1617 185 202
- Senger R. D. Merkle M. A. Nelson D. J. 1998 “Validation of ADVISOR as a Simulation Tool for a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” Technology for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles Proceedings of the 1998 SAE Intl. Congress Detroit, MI Feb. 23-26 SAE Paper 981133 SP-1331 95 115
- Thomas C. E. (Sandy) 2002 “Hydrogen and Fuel Cells: Pathway to a Sustainable Energy Future,”