This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Study of Corrosion Test Environments at Three Proving Grounds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the progress of an ongoing corrosion study of vehicle microenvironments. The study identifies the difference of corrosion microenvironments at various automotive proving grounds, using a sensor-equipped vehicle.
A vehicle was instrumented for the proving ground test study. Various types of environmental sensors were installed at more than thirty-five sites on the vehicle. These sensors measured the temperature and relative humidity of the ambient air, and the temperature and time-of-wetness of the sites' surfaces. Cold rolled steel (CRS) and Zinc (Zn) corrosion rate sensors were also used in the experiments.
The comparative analysis of vehicle microenvironments and corrosion rates of CRS and Zn, from three corrosion proving ground tests, will be discussed.
CitationWang, T., Nymberg, D., and Ström, M., "A Comparative Study of Corrosion Test Environments at Three Proving Grounds," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1240, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1240.
- Schumacher, W. A. “Proving Ground Vehicle Corrosion Testing,” SAE- 831820
- Roudabush, L. A. “A Review of Perforation Corrosion Testing - 1980 to 1990,” SAE- 912285
- Ström, Mats “A Statistically Designed Study of Atmospheric Corrosion Simulating Automotive Field Conditions Using a High Performance Climate Chamber - Status Report Of Work In Progress,” SAE 912282
- Ström, Mats “A Statistically Designed Study of Atmospheric Corrosion Simulating Automotive Field Conditions Under Laboratory Conditions - Final Volvo Report on The AISI Cosmetic Corrosion Set of Materials,” SAE- 93233
- Libertiny, George Z. “Vehicle Corrosion Severity at Various Geographical Locations in The United States,” SAE 932351
- Wang, Tie “A Vehicle Microcorrosion Environmental Study of Field And Proving Ground Tests,” SAE- 2001-01-0646
- Wang, Tie “A Vehicle Micro-Corrosion Environment Study,” SAE 2000-01-1194
- Gao Guilian “Corrosion Rates of Steel, Zinc And Bi Metal Couples in the Field and in Laboratory Environments,” SAE 2002-01-0206
- Oh, Shinjong “Development of Accelerated Corrosion Test Mode Considering Environmental Condition,” SAE 2002-01-1231