This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Contact Pressure on the Coefficient of Friction in Friction Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of sample thickness on the coefficient of friction (COF) determined by the Draw Bead Simulator (DBS) tests was observed, i.e., the COF of heavy gauge samples was lower than that of thin gauge samples in the same surface condition. To better understand this experimental anomaly, DBS tests were performed on galvannealed and cold rolled steels of different gauges. Twist compression (TC) tests were also performed because it offers the controllable contact pressure between the sample and the tool. The TC test results indicated a strong contact pressure influence on the COF at pressure range tested, which invalidates the assumption of Coulomb's friction law in the friction tests. It is concluded that the different sample gauge results in different contact pressure in the DBS, and in turn, different COF because of the breakdown of Coulomb's law. The decrease in COF with increasing pressure was explained in terms of mixed-film lubrication and the modified Stribeck curve.
|Technical Paper||Predictions for Nucleate Boiling - Results From a Thermal Bench Marking Exercise Under Low Flow Conditions|
|Journal Article||How to Save $20 per Car by Optimization of the E/E System?|
|Technical Paper||Life Cycle Simulation as R&D Tool|
CitationXu, K., "Effects of Contact Pressure on the Coefficient of Friction in Friction Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1153, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1153.
- Glossary of Terms and Definitions in the Field of Friction Wear and Lubrication: Tribology OECD Paris 1969
- Wang W. et al “Measurement of Friction under Sheet Forming Conditions” Metal. Mater. Trans. A 27A 1996 3971
- Nine H. D. “Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming” Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming Koistinen D. P. Wang N. M. Plenum Press 1978 179
- Instruction for Twist Compression Tester IRDI 2000
- Sulonen M. et al. “A Reliable method for Measuring the Friction Coefficient of Sheet Metal Forming” IDDRG Working Group Meetings, WG III/4 Tokyo 1981
- Hance B. Walters G. “Effect of Sheet Thickness on the Coefficient of Friction Determined by the Draw Bead Simulator (DBS) Test” SAE pub. 1999-01-0998 1999
- Xu K. “Friction Evaluation of Various Lubricants on Galvannealed Steels” Ispat Inland Research and Development 2001
- Schey J. A. Tribology in Metalworking ASM 1983
- Coubrough G. J. “Friction During Stretch-Bending Deformation” Colorado School of Mines 1998 80
- Nine H. D. “The Applicability of Coulomb's Friction Law to Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Forming” J. App. Metal Working 2 3 1982 200