This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performances Analysis of PEM Fuel Cell Based Automotive Systems Under Transient Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of Polymeric Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC) based power trains as a substitute of Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) in transportation has been demonstrated but still requires both technical development of components and their integration in the system. One of the major technical challenges for automotive application is the system response during rapid variations of operative conditions, which is one of the most significant elements concurring in determining the vehicle drivability (i.e. the power train capability to allow rapid transient phenomena). The power train response under transient conditions depends on the combined action of all the system components performances. This behaviour is still more complicated when hydrogen has to be produced on board and the reformer response has to be taken into account.
In this paper the performances of PEMFC based energy production systems for automotive applications is analysed by means of a simulation model able to describe the performance of all the system components from the on board energy storage to the road load. Different fuel storage/production solutions are analysed and their performances are compared (methanol steam reformer, methane auto thermal reformer and ammonia reformer).
To increase results significance, comparison are made with respect to the European Urban Cycle (ECE+EUDC) and to this aim a simple model of vehicle dynamics has been also developed.
Model predictions have proved to be able to simulate system behaviour and could be used to design system characteristics as well to define its control system.
|Technical Paper||FordS Zero Emission P2000 Fuel Cell Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Adaptive airflow control of the PEM fuel cell system|
|Technical Paper||Hybrid Storage System: An Optimization Case|
CitationAndreassi, L., Cordiner, S., and Romanelli, F., "Performances Analysis of PEM Fuel Cell Based Automotive Systems Under Transient Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1144, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1144.
Fuel Cell Power for Transportation from the SAE 2003 World Congress on CD-ROM
Number: SP-1741CD; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1741CD; Published: 2003-03-03
- Costamagna P. Srinivasan S. “Quantum Jumps in the PEMFC science and technology from the 1960s to the year 2000 Part I. Fundamental Scientific Aspects” Journal of Power Sources 102 1-2 December 1 2001 242 252
- Costamagna P. Srinivasan S. “Qanatum Jumps in the PEMFC science and technology from the 1960s to the year 2000 Part II. Engineering, technology development and application aspects” Journal of Power Sources 102 1-2 December 1 2001 253 269
- Bernardi D.M. Verbrugge M.W. “AIChE J. 37 1151 1991
- Bernardi D.M. Verbrugge M.W. “Journal of the Electrochemical Society 139 2447 1992
- Springer T.E. Wilson M.S.. Gottesfeld S. “Modeling and Experimental Diagnostics in a Polymer Electrolyte Fuel cell” Journal of Electrochemical Society 140 12 1993
- Springer T.E. Zawodzinski T.A. Gottesfeld S. “Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Model” Journal of Electrochemical Society 138 8 1991
- Fuller T.F. Newman J. Journal of Electrochemical Society 140 1218 1993
- Garau V. Liu H. Kacac S. AIChE J. 44 2410 1998
- Yi J.S. Nguyen T.V. Journal of Electrochemical Society 146 38 1999
- Zhao T. Liu H. “Development and Simplification of a Three-Dimensional PEM Fuel Cell Model” Proceedings of ASME ESDA2002, 6 th Biennal Conference on Engineering Systems design and Analysis 2002
- Jost K. “Advances in fuel cell development” SAE Automotive Engineering June 2002 67 73
- Johnson R. Morgan C. Witmer D. Johnson T. “Performance of a proton exchange membrane” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 26 2001 879 887
- Pischinger S. Schonfelder, Bornscheuer W. Kindl H. Wiartalla A. “Integrated Air Supply and humidificationConcepts for Fuel Cell Systems” SAE paper 2001-01-0233
- Lee J.H. Lalk T.R. “Modeling fuel cell stack systems” Journal of Power Source 73 229 241 1998
- Andreassi L. Cordiner S. Feola M. “Analysis of Overall Efficiency of Fuel-Cell Based Power Generations Systems” Proceedings of ASME ESDA2002, 6 th Biennal Conference on Engineering Systems design and Analysis 2002
- Stevenson J.W. Singh P. “Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Development at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory” Fuel Cell Seminar 2002
- Ye Lwin Ramlii Wan Daud Wan Mohamad Abu Bakar Yaakob Zahira “Hydrogen production from steam-methanol reforming: thermodynamic analysis” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 2000 47 53
- Peppley Brant A. Amphlett J. Kearns Lyn Mann R. “Methanol steam reforming on Cu/ZnO/Al2O3. Part1: the reaction network” Applied Catalysis A: General 179 1999 21 29
- Rabou L.P.L.M. “Modelling of a variable flow methanol reformer for a polymer electrolyte fuel cell” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 20 10 845 848 1995
- EU RTT Project n. ENK6CT2001/00580 ACCEPT - Ammonia Cracking for Clean Energy Power Technology
- Barbir F. Fuchs M. Husar A. Neutzler “Design and Operational Characteristics of Automotive PEM Fuel Cell Stacks” SAE Paper n. 2000-01-0011 2000
- Ho J. Yi Chul “A computational simulation of an alkaline fuel cell” Journal of Power Source 84 87 106 1999
- Tschauder A. Emonts B. Grube T. Peters R. Stolten D. “Compact Methanol Reformer Operated in a Fuel Cell Drive System” 2002 Fuel cell Seminar
- Höhlein B. Boe M. Bøgild-Hansen J. Bröckerhoff P. Colsman G. Emonts B. Menzer R. Riedel E. “Hydrogen from methanol for fuel cells in mobile systems: development of a compact reformer” Journal of Power Sources 61 1996 143 147
- Palm C. Cremer P. Peters R. Stolten D. “Small-scale testing of a precious metal catalyst in the autothermal reforming of various hydrocarbons feeds” Journal of Power Source 106 2002 231 237
- Bachhiesl U. Enzinger P. Europe, Graz 31 01 2002
- Vancini C.A. Hoepli 1961
- Gay-Desharnais S.E. Routex J. Holtzapple M. Ehsani M. “Investigation of Hydrogen Carriers for Fuel Cell Based Transportation” SAE paper n. 2002-01-0097
- Chelappa A.S. Fischer C.M. Thomson W.J. “Ammonia decomposition kinetics over Ni-Pt/Al 2 O 3 for PEM fuel cell applications” Applied Catalysis Elsevier 2001
- Badami M. Caldera C. “Dynamic model of a Load-Following Cell-Veichle: Impact on the Air System” SAE paper n. 2002-01-0100 2002
- Amphlett J.C. Mann R.F. Peppley B.A. Roberge P.R. Rodrigues A. “A model predicting transient responses of proton exchange membrane fuel cells” Journal of Power Sources 61 1996 183 188
- De Francesco, M. Arato E. “Start-up analysis for automotive PEM fuel cell systems” Journal of Power Sources 108 2002 41 52
- Weisbrod K. Hedstrom J. Tafoya J. Borup R. Inbody M. “Cold-Start Dynamics of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack” Los Alamos National Laboratory Los Alamos NM 87545