This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Formation Analysis by Multiwavelength Spectroscopy in an External Chamber Diesel Engine Equipped with a CR Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel combustion process was studied and characterized by digital imaging and ultraviolet-visible flame emission, extinction and scattering spectroscopy. Optical measurements were applied to a transparent diesel engine, realized by modifying a single cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke diesel engine by means of an external combustion chamber on the top of the engine, connected to the main chamber by a tangential passage. Diesel engine was equipped with a fully flexible electronic controlled ‘Common Rail’ injection system.
Measurements were performed at 1000 rpm engine speed for two typical injection strategies. The first one consisted of a main injection in order to compare the results with those ones obtained by conventional injection system operating at low pressure. The other one was based on a pilot and main injection that is typical of current direct injection diesel engines.
Air/fuel mixture formation, liquid-vapor distributions, and autoignition process were evaluated, for both engine operating conditions, by combining spectral extinction and flame emission measurements with digital imaging. The presence of OH and CH radicals, detected by chemiluminescence, permitted to characterize and identify both temporally and spatially the first stage of combustion.
The temporal evolution of soot particles from carbonaceous precursors to soot oxidation was followed by spectral extinction and scattering measurements in terms of mass concentration and particle size. The results obtained for the fuel injection strategies investigated showed that the diameter of soot particles were smaller than 20nm and, finally, the injection strategies influenced the soot amount but not the particle size.
CitationMerola, S., Vaglieco, B., and Mancaruso, E., "Soot Formation Analysis by Multiwavelength Spectroscopy in an External Chamber Diesel Engine Equipped with a CR Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1111, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1111.
- Proceedings of International Symposium The Future of Diesel Engine Technology for Passenger Cars 12-13 October 2000 Porto Cervo, Italy
- Koyanagi, K. Oing, H. Renner, G. Maly, R.R. Optimizing Common Rail Injection by Optical Diagnostics in a Transparent Production Diesel Engines” SAE Paper nº 1999-01-3646 1999
- Karcher, W. Spectral Atlas of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds 1 Karcher, W et al. Kluwer Academic Publ 1988
- Dec, J. E. A Conceptual Model of D.I. -Diesel Combustion Based on Laser Sheet Imaging SAE Paper nº 970873 1997
- Corcione, F. E. Vaglieco, B. M. Valentino, G. A Study of Physical and Chemical Delay in a High Swirl Diesel System via Multiwavelength Extinction Measurements SAE Transaction Journal of Engines 523 530 Paper nº 980502 1998
- Zhao, H. Ladommatos, N. Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics 2001 SAE INTERNATIONAL
- Astarita, M. Corcione, F. E. Vaglieco, B. M. Valentino, G. Optical Diagnostics of Temporal and Spatial Evolution of a Reacting Diesel Fuel Jet Comb. Sci. Tech 48 1 16 1999
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc Graw-Hill NewYork 1988
- Borghese, A. Merola, S.S. Time Resolved Spectral and Spatial Description of Laser-Induced Breakdown in Air as a Pulsed, Bright and Broadband Ultraviolet-Visible Light Source Applied Optics 37 3977 3083 1998
- Radziemski L.J Cremers D.A. Laser Induced Plasmas and Applications Marcel Dekker New York 1989
- Landolt-Bornestein Springer Berlin, Heidelberg 1962
- Suzuki, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. Simultaneous Concentration Measurement of Vapor and Liquid in an Evaporating Diesel Spray SAE Paper No. 930863 1993
- Zhang. Y. Yoshizaki T. Nishida K. Quantitative Measurement of Droplets and Vapor Concentration Distributions in Diesel Sprays by Processing UV and Visible Images SAE Paper: 2001-01-1294 2001
- Kerker, M. The Scattering of Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation Academic Press New York 1969
- Chang, H. Charalampopoulos, T.T. Determination of the wavelength dependence of refractive indices of flame soot Proc.R.Soc. London A 1990 430 577 591
- Ku, J.C. Shim, K.H. The Effects of Refractive Indices, Size Distribution, and Agglomeration on the Diagnostics and Radiative Properties of Flame Soot Particles ASME Winter Annual Meeting Dallas 1990 1001
- Merola S.S. Vaglieco, B. M. Corcione, F.E. Formisano, G. Spectral Analysis of Combustion Process of Common Rail Diesel Engine SAE 2002-01-1634 2002
- Vaglieco, B.M. Merola, S.S. D'Anna, A. D'Alessio, A. Spectroscopic Analysis and Modeling of Particulate Formation in a Diesel Engine Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 73 2-5 443 450 2002
- Merola S.S. Vaglieco, B. M. Corcione, F.E. Evaluation of Temporal and Spatial Distribution of Nanometric Particles in a Diesel Engine by Broadband Optical Techniques Int. J. Engine Reasearch 3 2 93 101 2002
- Nagle J. Strickland-Constable R. F. Oxidation of Carbon Between 1000-2000°C Fifth Carbon Conference 1 154 164 Pergamon, Oxford 1962