This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Tearing Pattern Prediction Model of Laser Scored Region on Invisible Passenger Side Airbag Door
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The tear seam of invisible passenger side airbag door is made on the back of an instrument panel by laser scoring method and it is not shown outside. One of the requirements for the invisible passenger side airbag door is that the airbag module should deploy with no fragmentation at hot, room and cold temperature conditions. In this paper, a section model was developed by detail inspection of tearing phenomena at the laser-scored region. To validate the model, the finite elements of continuous and dot type laser-scored tear seam were built and analyzed in room and cold temperature conditions. Finally, a three-dimensional equivalent shell model was developed and it was proved that the section model and the equivalent shell model could represent well the tearing phenomena of the airbag door. It is expected that the tearing pattern prediction models developed in this study can be used to design the types of laser scoring and the airbag door with the minimum of real deployment tests.
CitationLee, K., Yeo, T., and Park, S., "Development of Tearing Pattern Prediction Model of Laser Scored Region on Invisible Passenger Side Airbag Door," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1018, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1018.
- Jeon H. S. Kim C. S. Shin K. S. “Development of Invisible PAB using laser scoring method” KSAE spring conference 2001
- Choi J. S. Kim J. G. Kim N. Y. “Development of hard type instrument panel with invisible passenger airbag system” KSAE fall conference 2001
- Kim H. Y. Lee S. K. Shin Y. J. “Analyses of deployment process and sled test for designing airbag module” KSAE Paper 98370034
- Xunnan He Simon “Advanced finite element analysis in the structural design of airbag modules” SAE Paper 970773
- Blackson S. “Optimal instrument panel performance through closed loop finite element analysis to test correlation” SAE Paper 970720
- Bayley Gregory S. et al “Experimental measurements of deploying pressure distribution on a passenger side airbag door” SAE Paper 950339