This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Powertrain Efficiency Optimization of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports the results arising from Torotrak's efficiency optimization program based upon the current Torotrak Series III Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT) prototype (Fig.1), which was designed for the North American SUV (Sport Utility Vehicles) and luxury car market segment. System optimization is achieved in a number of ways including a variable hydraulic endload system, optimized variator design (in order to minimize variator power loss), minimized referred (or reflected) inertia and reduced power recirculation. The results are presented for the following attributes:
- Contact/Variator Module/Transmission efficiency.
- Powertrain specific fuel consumption (SFC).
- Fuel economy. U.S. City, Highway and Metro Highway drive cycle improvements compared to the standard Ford Expedition 4AT.
- Vehicle performance. Launch and acceleration performance compared to the standard Ford Expedition 4AT.
CitationBurke*, M., Briffet, G., Fuller, J., Heumann, H. et al., "Powertrain Efficiency Optimization of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT)," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0971, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0971.
- Newall J. Nicolson D. Lee A. Evans S. “Development and Assessment of Traction Fluids for Use in Toroidal IVT Transmissions” SAE 2002 World Congress March 2002 Detroit; Michigan; USA
- Hewko L. O. “Automotive traction drive CVTs - An overview” SAE paper 861355 1986
- Brockbank C. Heumann H. “Delivery of IVT for a 5 litre SUV: Addressing the concerns of Geared Neutral” IIR conference “Innovative Fahrzeuggetriebe” Bad Mergentheim March 2002
- Murray S. “Control of an integrated CVT Powertrain” Integrated Powertrains and their control University of Bath Sep. 2000
- Lee A. Newall J Ono Y. Hoshino T. “Developing the Durability of a Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator” SAE 2002 World Congress March 2002 Detroit; Michigan; USA
- Bishop J. S. Kluger M. A. “Proposed efficiency rating for an optimized automatic transmission” SAE paper 960425 1996