This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
TSAM-Truck Driver Seating Accommodations Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driver positioning and seating-accommodations tool development started in the 1960s (Devlin & Roe 1968). Since that time, passenger car and heavy-duty truck workspace tools have developed to be important vehicle engineering processes. Passenger-car Driver Selected Seat Position research has continued as an ongoing SAE project. However, driver-positioning studies for heavy-duty trucks have not received equal attention. Consequently, this meta-analysis combines both passenger car and truck workspace tools as considerations for a heavy-duty truck driver selected seat position model. Discussion of occupant packaging applications during vehicle development focuses on experimental design and multi-dimensional packaging.
CitationSmythe, L., "TSAM-Truck Driver Seating Accommodations Model," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0952, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0952.
- Bradtmiller, B. , And Gross, M.E. , (2000), Human Body Size for Truck Design,Technical Paper Number 2000- 01-3404, Warren Dale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Chapanis, A., (1988) Some Generalizations About Generalization.Human Factors, 1988, 30 (3), 2 53-2 67, Human Factors Society, Inc., Box 1369,Santa Monica, CA 90406
- Devlin, W. A. and Roe, E. W, The Eyellipse and Considerations in the Drivers Forward Field Of View,SAE 680105Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. New York NY 10017
- Flannagan, C. A. C., Manary, M. A, Schneider, L. W, and Reed, M. P, (1998), An Improved Seating Accommodation Model With Application To Different User Populations, SAE 980651 Society Of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 15096-0001
- Greig, J. A., (1999) Form Vs. Function: A Systems Approach to Achieving Harmony.Technical Paper 1999-01-1266,Warren Dale, Pa: Society Of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Mark, L. S., Nemeth, K., Gardner, D., Dainoff, M. J., Paasche, J., Duffy, M., and Grandt, K., (1997) Postural Dynamics and the Preferred Critical Boundary for Visually Guided Reaching. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance,January 1997 Vol. 23, No. 5,1365-1379, 1997 by the Educational Publishing Foundation
- Mourant, R. R, Pak, T and Moussa-Hamouda, E, Dynamic Eye Positions by Vehicle Type. Final Report of the Second Generation Eyellipse Project, Submitted To: Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the United States, Inc. From the Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan 48202 May 1978
- Nicoletti, R. , And Umilta, C., (1989) Splitting Visual Space With Attention. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance,February 1989 Vol. 15, No. 1, 164-169, the American Psychological Association
- Payne, D. G., and Blackwell, J. M, 1997 ,Toward A Valid View of Human Factors Research: Response To Vicente (1997), Human Factors, 1997, 39 (2), 3 29-3 31, Human Factors And Ergonomics Society, P.O. Box 1369, Santa Monica, CA 9 0406-1369
- Philippart, N. L. , Roe, R. R. ,Arnold, A. A. , And Kuechenmeister, T. J. , (1984) Driver Selected Seat Position Model.Technical Paper 840508, Warren Dale PA: Society Of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Reed, M. P., and Scheinder, L. W., (1999) Investigating Driver Headroom Perception: Methods and Models. Technical Paper 1999-01-0893, Warren Dale Pa, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Reed, M.P., Lehto, M.M, and Schneider, L. W., Methods for Laboratory Investigation of Truck and Bus Driver Postures, SAE 2000-01-3405 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc .Warrendale, PA 15096-0001
- Sanders, M. S, U.S. Truck Driver Anthropometric and Truck Workspace Data Survey.CRG/TR-83/002, Final Report January 1983, Canyon Research Group, Inc. Westlake Village, CA 91361-2691. Submitted To: Society Of Automotive Engineers, Inc.Warrendale, PA 15096
- Sanders, M. S, and Shaw, B. E. Female U.S. Truck Driver Anthropometric and Truck Workspace Data Survey.Final Report May 1984 ESSEX Corp. Westlake Village, CA 91361-2691. Submitted To: Society Of Automobile Juniors, Inc. Warrendale, PA 15096
- Sanders, M. S., and Shaw, B. E, U.S. Truck Driver Anthropometric and Truck Workspace Data Survey: Sample Selection and Methodology. SAE 852315, Warrendale, PA: Society Of Automotive Engineers Inc. 1985
- Vernoy, M. W., and Tomerlin, J., (1989) Pedal Error and Misperceived Centerline in Eight Different Automobiles. Human Factors, 1989, 31 (4), 3 69-3 75, Human Factors Society, Inc. Box 1369, Santa Monica, Ca 90406
- Vicente, K.J, 1997 , Heeding the Legacy of Meister, Brunswick, and Gibson: Toward A Broader View of Human Factors Research, Human Factors, 1997, 39 (2), 323-3 28, Human Factors And Ergonomics Society,P.O. Box 1369, Santa Monica, CA 90406-1369
- Zehner, G.F., Meindl, R.S and Hudson, J.A., A Multivariate Anthropometric Method for Crew Station Design (U) Armstrong Laboratory, Crew Systems Directorate, HSC, AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433-7022