This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of HCCI for Future Gasoline Powertrains
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a two-year programme of research conducted by the authors investigating HCCI in direct injection gasoline engines. Poppet-valved two-stroke cycle operation has been investigated experimentally, using conventional gasoline compression ratios and fuel, and ambient temperature intake air. Extensive combustion and emissions data was gathered from the experimental engine. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) has been used to model HCCI combustion, and the CFD tool validated using experimental data. Based on experience with the two-stroke engine and modelling techniques, a four-stroke engine has been designed and tested.
Using this range of tools, practical options for gasoline HCCI engines are evaluated, and a scenario for the market introduction of HCCI is presented.
CitationOsborne, R., Li, G., Sapsford, S., Stokes, J. et al., "Evaluation of HCCI for Future Gasoline Powertrains," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0750, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0750.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2003
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
- CHRISTENSEN, M. JOHANSSON, B. EINEWALL, P. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Isooctane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A Comparison with Spark Ignition Operation SAE 972874 1997
- CHRISTENSEN, M. JOHANSSON, B. Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition SAE 982454 San Francisco, USA 1998
- LAVY, J. DABADIE, J. DURET, P. ANGELBERGER, C. LE COZ, J-F. CHEREL, J. Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI): A New Highly Efficient and Near-Zero NOx Emissions Combustion Process for Gasoline Engine Application A New Generation of Combustion Processes for the Future? Editions Technip Paris, France 2001
- OAKLEY, A. ZHAO, H. LADOMMATOS, N. MA, T. Experimental Studies on Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion of Gasoline in a 4-Stroke Engine SAE 2001-01-1030 2001
- LAVY, J. DABADIE, J. ANGELBERGER, C. DURET, P. WILLAND, J. JURETZKA, A. SCHÄFLEIN, J. MA, T. LENDRESSE, Y. SATRE, A. SCHULZ, C. KRÄMER, H. ZHAO, H. DAMIANO, L. Innovative Ultra-Low NOx Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engines - The 4-SPACE Project SAE 2000-01-1837 2000
- HUNDLEBY, G. Development of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Engine - The Flagship Concept SAE 900802 Detroit, USA, 1990
- STOKES, J. HUNDLEBY, G. LAKE, T. CHRISTIE, M. Development Experience of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Flagship Engine SAE 920778 Detroit, USA 1992
- REITZ, R. D. DIWAKAR, R. Effect of Drop Breakup on Fuel Sprays SAE 860469 1986
- LIVENGOOD, J. C. WU, P. C. Correlation of Autoignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines 5th International Symposium on Combustion 347 1955
- CHEN, C. BARDSLEY, M. E. A. JOHNS, R. J. R. Two-Zone Flamelet Combustion Model SAE 2000-01-2810 2000
- Ricardo Software VECTIS Computational Fluid Dynamics Release 3.6 Theory Manual April 2002
- FLIERL, R. KLÜTING, M. The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control SAE 2000-01-1227 Detroit, USA 2000
- WILLAND, J. NIEBERDING, R. VENT, G. ENDERLE, C. The Knocking Syndrome - Its Cure and Its Potential SAE 982483 San Francisco, USA 1998
- KANEKO, M. MORIKAWA, K. ITOH, J. SAISHU, Y. Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine Paper 1-18 COMODIA 2001 Nagoya, Japan 2001
- LI, J. ZHAO, H. LADOMMATOS, N. MA, T. Research and Development of Controlled Auto-ignition (CAI) Combustion in a Four-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine SAE 2001-01-3608 2001
- LAW, D. KEMP, D. ALLEN, J. KIRKPATRICK, G. COPELAND, T. Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train SAE 2000-01-0251 2000
- GREGORY, D. MARSHALL, R. EVES, B. DEARTH, M. HEPBURN, J. BROGAN, M. SWALLOW M Evolution of Lean-NOx Traps on PFI and DISI Lean Burn Vehicles SAE 1999-01-3498 Toronto, Canada 1999
- OLSSON, J-A. TUNESTÅL, P. JOHANSSON, B. Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine SAE 2001-01-1031 2001
- MÜLLER, R. HART, M. TRUSCOTT, T. NOBLE, A. KRÖTZ, G. EICKHOFF, M. CAVALLONI, C. GNIELKA, M. Combustion Pressure Based Engine Management System SAE 2000-01-0928 Detroit, USA 2000
- TRUSCOTT, T. A Novel Engine Management System Based on Intelligent Control Algorithms and Utilising Innovative Sensor Technology MST News 2 99 1999
- Foresight Vehicle programme http://www.foresightvehicle.org.uk/