This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ignition and combustion control of HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) in DI (Direct Injection) Diesel Engine were examined. In this study, double injection technique was used by Common Rail injection system. The first injection was used as an early injection for fuel diffusion and to advance the changing of fuel to lower hydrocarbons (i.e. low temperature reaction). The second injection was used as an ignition trigger for all the fuel. It was found that the ignition of the premixed gas could be controlled by the second injection when the early injection was maintaining low temperature reaction.
It was found that as the boost pressure increased, ignition timing advanced slightly and the rate of pressure increase markedly decreased. The rate of pressure increase is one of the factors concerning operation limit in this combustion. Therefore, the VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbo-charger) was applied to the production engine to allow boost pressure control. Spray characteristics and combustion analysis images were investigated by the shadowgraph method. Luminous flame was not observed. The fluctuation due to the low temperature reaction was observed from the shadowgraph images. Many ignition points appeared in the combustion chamber. Low NOx and smoke were possible both in the first injection and in the second injection by this combustion. This HCCI concept was named as UNIBUS (Uniform Bulky Combustion System) by the author et al. and applied to the production engine (1KD-FTV, 3 liter-4cylinder) in August 2000 in the Japanese market.
CitationHasegawa, R. and Yanagihara, H., "HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0745, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0745.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2003
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1742; Published: 2003-03-03
- Najt, P. Foster, D.E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE paper 830264
- Onishi, S. Jo, S.H. Shoda, K. Jo, P.D. Kato, S. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper 790501
- Thring, R.H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition Engine” SAE paper 892068
- Yanagihara, H. “Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine Using a New Mixture Preparation Method” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, International Journal. Series B. Fluid and Thermal Engineering 40 4 1997 592 598
- Yanagihara, H. Satou, Y. Mizuta J. “A Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engines under a New Combustion System (Uniform Bulky Combustion System -UNIBUS)” 17th Int. Vienna Motor Symposium 1996
- Takeda, Y. Nakagome, K. Niimura K. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection” SAE Transactions 105 J. of Fuel & Lubricants 938 947 961163 1996
- Maria, N. Proc. Combustion Inst. 26 773 780 1997
- Warnatz, J. Combustion Second Springer-Verlag 1999
- Iida, N. “Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE paper 940684
- Furutani, M. Ohta, Y. Kono, M. Hasegawa, M. “An Ultra Lean Premixed Compression-Ignition Engine Concept and its Characteristics” Comodia 98 Kyoto Japan 1998
- Christensen, M. Johansson B. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE paper 980787
- Takatsuto, R. Igarashi, T. Iida, N. Autoignition and Combustion of DME, n-Butane / Air Mixture in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Comodia 98 Kyoto Japan, 1998
- Nishijima, Y. Asaumi, Y. Aoyagi, Y. “Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion (PREDIC) using Impingement Spray System” SAE paper 2001-01-1892
- Hasegawa, R. “Study of Diesel Spray Ignition and Combustion in an Ambient Gas Including Hydrocarbon” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 63-615 285 292 1996
- Hashizume, T. Miyamoto, T. Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Multiple Stage Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 980505