This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Impact on the Combustion Process of Injector Nozzle Layout creating Enhanced Secondary Spray Break-up
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a study of a key-element in the mixture preparation process. A typical common-rail (CR) high-pressure fuel injector was fitted with a prototype injector nozzle with atomizer bores of a particular conical layout. It is demonstrated within certain layout limits, that a considerable enhancement can be obtained for the secondary break-up of the hard-core fluid sprays produced by the nozzle. The impact on the combustion process is examined in terms of pressure and heat release as well as of the engine-out pollutant emission. The results are compared to those of an earlier developed CR high-pressure injector nozzle.
The atomization behavior of the prototype nozzle is illustrated through experimental results in terms of engine-out emissions from a 1.3-liter turbo-charged passenger car diesel engine. The detailed spray behavior is visualized on a component test rig by use of specially developed optical visualization techniques. Furthermore analytical considerations of the secondary break-up mechanics are highlighted by the use of a 3D-numerical simulation code NCF-3D.
The paper concludes with a discussion of the improvement, which can be expected from this type of atomization layout as well as the production processes necessary for its mass production.
CitationPontoppidan, M., Ausiello, F., Bella, G., and Ubertini, S., "Study of the Impact on the Combustion Process of Injector Nozzle Layout creating Enhanced Secondary Spray Break-up," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0706, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0706.
- Arcoumanis C. Afzal H. Gavaises M Kampanis N. “Internal flow in Diesel injector nozzles: modelling and experiments.” IMech Conference Proceedings London december 1-2 1999
- Arcoumanis C. Flora H. Gavaises M. Kampanis N. Horrocks R. “Investigations of Cavitation in a vertical Multi-Hole Injector.” SAE Paper 1999-01-0524
- Arcoumanis C. Gavaises M. Roth H. “Cavitation Initiation, Its Development and Link with Flow Turbulence in Diesel Injetor Nozzles.” SAE Paper 2002-01-0214
- Bella G. Rotondi R. Grimaldi C. Postrioti L. “Atomization of High-Pressure Diesel Spray: Experimental Validation of New Breakup Model.” SAE Paper 2001-01-1070
- Bianchi G. Pelloni P. Corcione F. Luppini F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with the 2 nd Generation of Common Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of Multiple Injections on Emissions.” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068
- Bergwerk W. “Flow pattern in diesel nozzle spray holes.” Proceedings of Inst. Mech. Engineers 173 25 635 674 1959
- Immarisio R. Rinolfi, R. “The third generation Direct Injection Diesel engine for Passenger Cars.” ATA Journal 52 1999
- Kong S. Han Z. Reitz R. “The Development and Application of a Diesel Engine and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulation.” SAE Paper 950278
- Marcer R. Le Cottier P. Chaves H. Argueyrolles B. Habchi C. Barbeau B. “A Validated Numerical Simulation of Diesel Injector Flow Using a VOF Method.” SAE Paper 2000-01-2932
- Naber J. Siebers D. “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion on Diesel Sprays.” SAE Paper 960034
- Patterson M. Reitz R. “Modelling the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission.” SAE Paper 980131
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 - Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing.” SAE Paper 2000-01-0532
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. Schilardi M “Developments in the Use of Multi-Purpose Numerical Simulation Tools to Optimize Combustion Control Parameters for the 2 nd Generation of Lean Burn, Stratifed GDI Engines.” SAE Paper 2001-01-0967
- Pontoppidan M. Ausiello F. Bella G. Demaio A “Study of the Impact of Variations in the Diesel-Nozzle Geometry Parameters on the Layout of Multiple Injection Strategy.” SAE paper 2002-01-0217
- Pontoppidan M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualization Techniques to decrease the Optimization Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimization.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Reitz R. D. Song-Charng Kong Bianchi G. M. Falfari S. Pelloni P. “Numerical Analysis of High-Pressure Fast-Response Common Rail Injector Dynamics.” SAE Paper 2002-01-213