This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Prototyping of a Two Wheeled Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The virtual protoype of a two wheeled vehicle (Piaggio Liberty 150 4T) was realized in order to simulate the behavior of a scooter during some codified maneuvres. A virtual driver was realized to conduct the virtual prototype. The obtained results were compared with the data acquired with the instrumented vehicle during the same maneuvres. In addition to the usual instrumentation (speed sensor, inertial sensor, linear and angular transducers) a load cell was installed under the saddle to measure the forces and torques applied by the driver. All the data were evaluated in order to define the real driving style. These data were used to enhance the virtual driver that conducts the virtual prototype as a human driver conducts the real vehicle.
CitationCapitani, R., Meneghin, A., and Rosti, D., "Virtual Prototyping of a Two Wheeled Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0672, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0672.
- Fajans J. “Steering in bicycles and motorcycles” Am. J. Phys. 68 7 2000 654 659
- Ethier P.M. “Motorcycle-rider servomechanism steering theory” SAE Technical Paper, 2000-01-3565
- Calì M. Garozzo A. Oliveti A. “Simulation of motorcycle using a multibody numerical approach” ADM International Conference on Design Tools and Methods in Industrial Engineering 1997 713 722
- Tezuka Y. Ishii H. Kiyota S. “Application of the magic formula tire model to motorcycle” JSAE Review 22 2001 305 310
- Van Oosten J. Bakker E. “Determination of Magic Formula tyre model parameters” Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1993
- Pacejka H.B. Bakker E. “The Magic Formula tyre model” Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1993
- Yokomori M. Higuchi K. Ooya T. “Rider's operation of a motorcycle running straight at low speed” JSME International Journal 35 1992
- Biral F. Da Lio M. “Modelling drivers with the optimal manoeuvre method” 7 th ATA International Conference Firenze 2001
- Liu T.S. Chen J.S. “Nonlinear analysis of stability for motorcycle-rider system” International Journal of Vehicle Design 13 1992
- Arcidiacono G. Capitani R. Hippoliti R. “Subjective assessment and objective measurement of handling maneuvers in two-wheeled vehicles” SAE Technical Paper, 2001-01-1876/4293