This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quasi-Static and Impact Strength of Fatigue Damaged Spot Welds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As the automotive industry becomes more concerned with the crash performance of automobiles, the behavior of used vehicles becomes an interesting subject. In this work, the effect of aging on spot welded joints was simulated by applying fatigue loading to the samples. Samples were then subjected to quasi-static and impact tests to measure the effect of fatigue aging to the strength of the samples. The results show (a) a reduction in the strength of the test samples under impact conditions, (b) no obvious reduction in quasi-static conditions, and (c) significant reduction in strength if cracks in the welds were initiated during the fatigue aging process.
CitationMiller, K., Chao, Y., Martinez, A., Zhu, X. et al., "Quasi-Static and Impact Strength of Fatigue Damaged Spot Welds," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0610, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0610.
- Sheppard, S. D. Pan, N. “A Look at Fatigue in Resistance Spot Welds-Notch or Crack” Fatigue and Failure of Spot Welds and Weld Joints Society of Automotive Engineers 109 122 March 2001
- Wang, Y. Lim, T. C. “An Experimental and Computational Study of the Dynamic Characteristics of Spot-Welded Sheet Metal Structures” Fatigue and Failure of Spot Welds and Weld Joints Society of Automotive Engineers 85 94 March 2001
- Kuo, E. Y. Jayasuriya, M. M. Wung, P. “The Effect of High Mileage Spot Weld Degradation on Vehicle Body Joint Stiffness” Fatigue and Failure of Spot Welds and Weld Joints Society of Automotive Engineers 59 66 March 2001
- Miller, K. W. Chao, Y. J. Martinez, A. Zhu, X. “Quasi-Static and Impact Strength of Spot Welds in Used Vehicles” Proceedings of the SEM Annual Conference Milwaukee, WI, USA June 2002
- ANSI/AWS/SAE/D8.9-97 Recommended Practices for Test Methods for Evaluating the Resistance Spot Welding Behavior of Automotive Sheet Steel Materials American Welding Society 1997
- Chao, Y.J. “Failure Mode of Spot Welds: Interfacial vs. Pullout,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining
- Chao, Y.J. “Ultimate Strength and Failure Mechanisms of Resistance Spot Weld Subjected to Tensile, Shear and Combined Tensile/Shear Loads,” ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology