This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of an Electric Power Assisted Steering System using Bond Graphs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with a DC motor driven Electric Power Assisted Steering system integrating a manual rack and pinion steering system. The DC motor is controlled by an electronic controller and connected to the steering system through a set of gears. The DC motor and the steering were modeled using principles of bond graphs and combined with Controller to form the system model. The state equations describing the system were developed using the bond graphs. The performance of the system was simulated using Matlab/Simulink. The electronic controller develops an output voltage to control the DC motor, considering vehicle speed and Steering Column torque inputs. This paper used a regression-weighted function to describe the operation of the controller. Transient and steady state performance characteristics of the system were evaluated including its damping characteristics.
CitationVijayakumar, S. and Chandran, R., "Analysis of an Electric Power Assisted Steering System using Bond Graphs," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0586, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0586.
- Chen. J. S. “Control of Electric Power Steering Systems” SAE paper 981116
- Malsbury. S.R Hinton. J.C. “Electric Power Assisted Steering for Small Road Vehicles” SAE paper 964131
- Vijayakumar. S Barak. Pinhas “Application of Bond graph Technique and Computer Simulation to the Design of Passenger car system”
- Karnopp. D.C Margolis. D.L Rosenberg. R.C “Systems Dynamics” John Wiley & Sons Inc
- Brown, F.T “Modeling and Analysis of Engineering System,” Lehigh University
- Mabrouka. H Chen. H.f Maalej A.Y Guenther. D.A “Effect of lateral tire flexibility on the steering system dynamic behavior” SAE paper 910239