This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive and Regulatory Trends in Brazil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Brazil has seen an increase in awareness of the effects of automotive safety and emissions, advanced by magazines such as “Quatro Rodas”. Being a member of the Mercosur organization, Brasil supports regulatory harmonization based on European requirements by 31 December 2002. U.S. FMVSS-based requirements that currently do not conflict with ECE-based Mercosur requirements are allowed as alternatives until 31 December 2004. The implications of these regulatory changes for automotive OEMs remain to be seen, but if recent public domain crash tests are any indication of what is to come, Brazil will quickly become the safety leader within South America.
CitationBurgos, E. and Campos, M., "Automotive and Regulatory Trends in Brazil," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0568, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0568.
- SHAPIRO, HELEN, “Engines of Growth - The State and Transnational Auto Companies in Brazil”, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- EVANS, LEONARD - “Traffic Safety and the Driver”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY, 1991.
- ANFAVEA - “Statistical Yearbook of the Brazilian Automotive Industry”, Edition 2000.
- PROCONVE - Coleção Meio Ambiente - 2 - Série Diretrizes Gestão Ambiental, IBAMA, Brazilia, 1998.
- FAVARETTO, JOSÉ EDUARDO - Inspeção Técnica Veicular (ITV), Instituto Brazileiro Veicular - IBV, Brazilia, May 2001.
- GEIPOT - Anuário Estatístico dos Transportes, 1999. Website: http://www.geipot.gov.br
- OS NÚMEROS DO TRÂNSITO - Portal do Trânsito Brasileiro. Website: http://www.transito.hpg.ig.com.br/index.html
- MINISTÉRIO DA JUSTIÇA - “Sistema Nacional de Estatísticas de Trânsito - Índice da Violência de Trânsito no Brazil”, 2001.
- COMPANHIA DE ENGENHARIA DE TRÁFEGO - CET - “Fatos e Estatísticas de Acidentes de Trânsito em São Paulo” - 2000.
- MARIOLANI, J.R.L.; ARRUDA, A.C.F.; SCHMUTZLER, L.O.F. - “Development of New Underride Guards for Enhancement of Compatibility between Trucks and Cars, State of University of Campinas”, Brazil, Paper No. 425.
- “DAILY NEWS” - Ford Brazil, No. 150, 16 August 2001.
- “CARRO” magazine - Ford Ka, June 1997.
- “QUATRO RODAS” magazine - “Destruição Criadora”, November 2000.
- “REGULAMENTAÇÃO DE EMISSÕES VEICULARES”, CAMPOS, DEBIASSIO, AND BONOTE, 2000.
- “COLISÃO FRONTAL VEÍCULO CONTRA BARREIRA”, CUSTODIO, MONTEIRO, AND SALTINI, 2000.